cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use the vl53l1x sensor API without the expansion shield?

SAn.2
Associate

I am new to the STM32 and trying to use the vl53l1x sensor. I found a nice article about importing the sensor as below.

https://www.digikey.com/eewiki/display/microcontroller/Adding+the+VL53L1X+Driver+to+an+STM32Cube+Project

However, not only above but most articles seems to assume using the X-NUCLEO-53L1A1 expansion shield.

Is there any way to use the sensor without the expansion? I am currently working on the NUCLEO-G474RE board.

2 REPLIES 2
KnarfB
Principal III

The expansion sheet does only some voltage level translation and 2.8V power supply, see

UM2359 Getting started with X-NUCLEO-53L1A1 long distance ranging ToF sensor expansion board based on VL53L1X for STM32 Nucleo 1.0

There are some small 3rd party breakout boards that work as well. Even the bare chip works, but its a bit hard to handle (for me).

Thank you for your answer.

I am really new to the STM32, so it would be really helpful if you would provide some tips for below:

1. In the paper you provided, the breakout board was connected to the expansion board, but would it have no problem if it is connected directly to my STM32 board?
  2. I am currently trying to import the driver in the API, but constantly having the error "conflicting types for 'I2C_HandleTypeDef". Are there any examples or any code that importing any API (for any sensor)? Seems like it is quite hard to find some examples of treating API in the STM32.

I really appreciate your kindness.