cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlueNRGxxx choice for basic BLE communication with STM32 (using STM32CUBE IDE)

VGros.3
Associate III

Hello everybody,

I plan to add an bluetooth chip to my electronics board. My goal is to add a basic bluetooth serial communication, in order to send errors messages to an android app.

I use STM32 microcontrollers on my boards, and I program them with STM32Cube IDE.

As I need something very basic and simple, I'm trying to choose the easiest chip, and I think the BlueNRG-MS seems to be the most "easy" to use since it embeds all the bluetooth stacks in it ! What do you think ?

I didn't find any library for STM32Cube IDE, I think I will have to create it ?

If you have any advice, I take it 😉

Thanks for reading,

Best regards

Valentin

3 REPLIES 3
Winfred LU
ST Employee

BlueNRG-MS is a BLE tranceiver, which shall be simpler than BlueNRG-1/2/LP SoCs (MCU + BLE transceiver).

The X-CUBE-BLE1 expansion software package for STM32Cube can be used for your reference:

https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/embedded-software/mcu-mpu-embedded-software/stm32-embedded-software/stm32cube-expansion-packages/x-cube-ble1.html

VGros.3
Associate III

Thanks for the information.

I bought the X-NUCLEO-BNRG2A1 board, which is working with a BlueNRG-M2. I'll start with this one, while keeping in mind that BlueNRG-MS would be easier.

BlueNRG-2/M2 can be programmed so that the embedded Cortex M0 takes care of BLE stack tasks only.

This way it can act exactly the same way as a BlueNRG-MS.

Please refer to DT0121:

DT0121 How to configure the BlueNRG-1 and BlueNRG-2 devices in network coprocessor mode