cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum I2C frequency for VL53L1X?

Singh.Harjit
Senior II

In DocID031281, Revision 3 of the datasheet it says 400kHz. IIRC, in an older version it said 1000 kHz.

It was my understanding that the VL53L1X and VL53L1 are the same part but the data processing has been moved from the sensor (VL53L1X) to the host (VL53L1). The VL53L1's max I2C frequency is 1000 kHz.

I'm really hoping you'll say the VL53L1X's I2C max frequency is 1000 kHz...

2 REPLIES 2
John E KVAM
ST Employee

The VL53L1 and the VL53L1X are almost the same. However we do not guaretee the L1X will run the L1 software. (To be honest it will mostly work, but don't go into production like that.)

The L1 datasheet does say, "Table 5. I2C interface - timing characteristics for Fast-mode Plus (1MHz)", and the I2C interface logic in the two chips is the same.

Go ahead and use the 1MHz. The chip can do it.

But be a little careful, situations like long lines and sub-optimal choice of capacitance of resistence can really mess with the 1MHz I2C.

• john

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.

@John E KVAM​ I love your "can do" answers. Thank you. I will pay attention to the layout & signal integrity.

I wasn't planning to run the L1 software on the L1X but now I'm curious. from reading on this site and the online presentation a couple of weeks ago, with the L1, the sensor captured some data and then sent it to the host where it was processed. Can the L1X also do this? Would be interesting to experiment with what I have (L1X) but understood that it can't be the production solution.