cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

arm-none-eabi-gdb.exe error when debugging in STM32CubeIDE

MMeva.1
Associate II

Hello,

I am getting the error as shown in the attached image when I debug in STM32Cube IDE and debug never starts.

When I try to run arm-none-eabi-gdb from terminal I am able to run. I am sure its available in global path but somehow IDE is not able to find it.

Please note that debug used to work for me. Once I installed arm-none-eabi-gdb (GCC 10) externally using xPack as mentioned in GNU MCU Eclipse page, this error started to come. GCC 10 was installed but something got messed up. Could someone please help me configure this path in IDE / fix this error if path is not the issue.

STM32CubeIDE: Version: 1.5.1 Build: 9029_20201210_1234 (UTC)

Toolchain: GNU tools for STM32 7-2018-q2

Thanks a lot.

3 REPLIES 3
KnarfB
Principal III

The gdb doesn't start ("Could not determine...") because a dependency ("cannot open shared object file") was not found.

Try sudo apt install libncurses5-dev libncursesw5-dev or similar or make sure that they are found. If it work from a terminal, try ldd to find out what was loaded and or set LD_LIBRARY_PATH accordingly.

I slightly remember that there were also 32-bit vs. 64-bit issues.

MMeva.1
Associate II

Thanks KnarfB for your answer. You were correct, my tool was not able to find the library libncurses5.

Howevery the library you mentioned (libncurses5-dev and libncursesw5-dev) didnt work. Following command worked:

sudo apt-get install libncurses5 libncurses5:i386.

I understand that these are for two different architectures, but left it for broader audience.

yeah, this was the 32 vs. 64 bit issue.

Happy New Year

KnarfB