cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"uncover" transition

Bob Bailey
Senior

I want to have another screen "slide in" covering my main screen based on a button click. and then "slide out". The slide-in is the cover transition, how do I 'uncover' ??

Thanks.

Bob

5 REPLIES 5
Romain DIELEMAN
ST Employee

Hi,

What board are you using ? Are you starting a project from one of the Application Template in TouchGFX Designer ? If yes then you might need to enable the "animation storage". This is needed in order to do slide transitions or complex animations.

To enable it you need to allocate some memory for the animation storage in the function setFrameBufferStartAddresses() in the function TouchGFXHAL::initialize() in TouchGFXHAL.cpp in the folder TouchGFX/target of your project.

If you are using the two frame buffer strategy your function should look something like this:

void TouchGFXHAL::initialize()
{
    TouchGFXGeneratedHAL::initialize();

setFrameBufferStartAddresses((void*)framebufferStartAddress, (void*)framebufferStartAddress + sizeFramebuffer, (void*) framebufferStartAddress + sizeFramebuffer *2 ;     

instrumentation.init();
    setMCUInstrumentation(&instrumentation);
    enableMCULoadCalculation(true);
}

The memory allocated for the animation storage should be the same as a framebuffer (so for example for a display of 480 by 272 with 16bbp: 480 * 272 * 2 = 3FC00). This is not enabled by default for all boards as it requires enough RAM.

/Romain

Bob Bailey
Senior

I am starting with the application template, but, like most users, my project will be very close to the disco board (the disco boards are 'reference designs'), so I will be converting the AT project into a 'from scratch' project. (this process is terrible BTW, which I mentioned in the webinar session)

My animation storage is configured, the slide transitions work.

What I want is to develop a new transition type: "uncover". On a cover transition the new screen image slides in "on top of" the previous one. When I am done with that screen I want it to transition as if it is "sliding back out" revealing the original screen that was "under it".

I'm not sure I am describing it properly. I have looked at the transition logic, but I'm not sure I understand its inner workings yet. Any code I develop would be overwritten by code generation?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi,

Sorry for not getting that at first. I believe what you are looking for is the "wipe transition" which would correspond to an "un-cover". If you wish to modify the speed of the transitions (to see if it truly is what you are looking for for example) you can modify the number of transition steps in WipeTransition.hpp.

What do you mean by "terrible process" by the way ? Could you add your inputs in the Idea zone of this forum if relevant ? This will help us keep track of your comments. You can start directly your project from scratch if you wish. The application templates available in TouchGFX Designer are for the ST dev kits, we only advise people to get some inspiration from these when building their own application template for their hardware as it might ease their development process.

/Romain

wipe is something different. with the wipe transitions the screen images don't have 'motion' like cover does. what I want to achieve is the cover transition but run in reverse so the screen image moves away revealing whats underneath (the previous screen in my case)

here is a bad video to try to show what I mean https://youtu.be/7W8RSPWWwII

as far as the process of transitioning from the disco board application template project to a project that would be used on target hardware, that does need its own thread and not be buried deep in an unrelated topic.

But, as I see it:

• the disco boards and evaluation kits are 'reference designs'. I.e. ST is saying 'do it this way'.
  • therefore most developers will use as much as possible from those designs,
  • the transition from AT to target steps are:
  1. create target project that runs on disco hardware (since we don't know if target hardware is sound)
  2. then change the target project to match target hardware and see if the new target will boot.

step 1 should take NO TIME, yet I have tried a few times to convert the current style AT project to a 'normal' one and been frustrated at how unfriendly it is. The current method of creating links to the source likely makes the AT projects easier to create for the different compiler environments but complicates the next step.

perhaps there is a documented process for this. But try it. Create a project for one of the disco boards as if it were target hardware. The AT process works in minutes (generally). To convert that to a target style project should not take all day (days)

@HP on here has 2 Youtube videos that step thru the process. Each video is about 1.5 hours long. He probably spent a day or 2 getting it to work.

(basically 'hello world' on a F746 disco)

Bob