cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would like to know why on the output of VL53L3CX, there are 3parameters: RangeMaxMilliMeter and RangeMinMilliMeter as well as RangeMilliMeter what is the difference between them,I can't find explanation anywhere ? Thanks in advance

HElni.1
Associate II

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

I explain to people that "A flash of light goes out, hits the target and returns. We simply measure the time the photons take." But that's a pretty simplified version. In 30ms maybe a million flashes of light go out. And, in the case of the L3, we bin the return counts into a histogram. The number of photons returning during a given clock cycle determine the bin count.

So in the ideal case of a flat target the min, the mean and the max are all pretty close. But take the case of a non-flat target. Say two people standing one slightly behind the other. That will return a min and max that are quite far away from each other.

In practical terms, use the mean, then use the min/max numbers to determine the 'complexity' of your scene.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.