cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H7CubeIDE: Is it possible to clone projects?

DMois.1
Associate III

I have an STM32H735G Discovery Kit and I'm using it with STM32CubeH7 IDE.

I want to modify the projects for my own code. Specifically, I want to make a copy of a project.

But, I MUST keep the metadata for the toolchain and the debugger. Right now, I can use the STM32 Project Wizard to import sample code, which has the correct settings for the project, including toolchains and debugger targets.

Let's say I take a library project from Github, or from the zipfile where Cube keeps its sample code. Let's say it's the LwIP_HTTP_Server, which has almost everything I need to modify it for my own project.

I then make a new project that is makefile-based and import the project code.

NOTHING WORKS.

NOTHING.

The toolchain pointers are missing, and the debug target can't be found. CMSIS is missing, and obviously the particular project won't build without any of these things.

I can't find any of these things exposed in the menus. There is NO option that I can see to make a "blank" project with the STM32MCU settings, so that I can import the template code from Github. I can't recreate the settings manually at all.

How do people build original projects with this toolchain?

The board is nice, and a nice advertisement for ST, but after working on it for two weeks, it's really not meant to have my own code on it. Everything else has been stuffed on the board, but developer usability.

So, I ask again: Can I at least clone a project in the IDE? How is everyone else writing their own code which is not ST's? Is there a workflow that...works?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Copy the project sub-directory to a new one, then manually edit .project and change the name

in the <name>....</name> tag.

The new name must be unique in the Eclipse workspace.

Then import the cloned project into Eclipse.

That's all.

--pa

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

> I then make a new project that is makefile-based

So the real issue is, how do you convert Eclipse CDT project (aka "managed") to a makefile project?

If you could do that, cloning the project is as easy as editing a makefile.

The "external" CDT builder produces some sort of ugly generated makefiles... do you use these?

> There is NO option that I can see to make a "blank" project with the STM32MCU settings

CubeMX or CubeIDE, create a new project for a known board or MCU?

-- pa

>>How is everyone else writing their own code which is not ST's? Is there a workflow that...works?

Use Keil here, trivial to clone projects/directories. ST has templates down in the CubeH7 trees

I write code, really haven't had a need to employ a code generator.

For the most part the tool "just works" so no mucking around.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

No. I can bring in a project with the wizard, but I can't copy it into a new project.

Copy the project sub-directory to a new one, then manually edit .project and change the name

in the <name>....</name> tag.

The new name must be unique in the Eclipse workspace.

Then import the cloned project into Eclipse.

That's all.

--pa

Piranha
Chief II

Another alternative:

https://www.embitz.org

https://blog.bastelhalde.de/post/setting-up-embitz-1-11-for-an-stm32f7-hal-project

It may seem "strange" at a first look, but it actually is a very simple, easy to use and productive IDE.

OK, that worked. Thanks!

My chip is a Cortex-M7 (STM32H735), and there is no support listed with the ST plugin. Only way I see it working is through OpenOCD, if I can find a configuration.