cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is MDC mandatory for Ethernet?

Oitsh.1
Associate II

I want to use a SIP with ST32MP153 and it uses PC13 to PMIC wakeup, PC1 is used for MDC so I'm left with only PI8 so can't use active tamper.

I sit possible to use Ethernet without MDC so I can use PC1 for active tamper with PI8?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @Oitsh.1​ ,

Since you are using a SIP, I recommand you use in priority the SIP provider support channel.

Anyway, this is some few hints I get from expert that may be relevant for you :

MDIO/MDC in maily used to discuss and configure PHY. Using a switch you needn't to use MDIOs pins BUT, you have to use an I2C connection to discuss with. This discussion is split in two:

1- register access to configure switch

2- Mdio bus interface to establish PHY features of the switch (autoneg/ link state..)

In both cases you use 2 wires. There are not muxed as MDIO but they do quite the same.

Now concerning MACto MAC and linux, it's possible to do it.

In your devicetree you have to declare a fixed-link node in your gmac node.

See Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/dsa/dsa.txt and Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/ethernet-controller.yaml for more details.

You will not able to configure PHY/switch, or you will not be able to execute ethtool to change some settings.

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @Oitsh.1​ ,

Since you are using a SIP, I recommand you use in priority the SIP provider support channel.

Anyway, this is some few hints I get from expert that may be relevant for you :

MDIO/MDC in maily used to discuss and configure PHY. Using a switch you needn't to use MDIOs pins BUT, you have to use an I2C connection to discuss with. This discussion is split in two:

1- register access to configure switch

2- Mdio bus interface to establish PHY features of the switch (autoneg/ link state..)

In both cases you use 2 wires. There are not muxed as MDIO but they do quite the same.

Now concerning MACto MAC and linux, it's possible to do it.

In your devicetree you have to declare a fixed-link node in your gmac node.

See Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/dsa/dsa.txt and Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/ethernet-controller.yaml for more details.

You will not able to configure PHY/switch, or you will not be able to execute ethtool to change some settings.

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Got it. Thanks!