cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those of us interested in supporting an open and competitive world, will you be releasing a even cheaper range of STM32WL sub-GHz MCU's, priced like the TI CC1310 that also includes an SMPS), that does not include the patented LoRa PHY/MAC?

Anders Dam Kofoed
Associate II

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

The STM32WLE4CC device does not support LoRa modulation.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

Hi Anders,

On the one hand, all STM32WL part numbers are provided “empty�? of any embedded software stack. It means the hardware platform is fully open, and it’s up to you to decide which stack you want to implement inside it: for instance LoRaWAN stack or Sigfox or W-MBUS or any other suitable Sub-GHz protocol. (FYI, LoRaWAN and Sigfox stack are provided free of charge in STM32CubeWL).

On the other hand, if you have no interest in LoRa modulation at all, you can select any STM32WL part number which matches such naming: “STM32WLx4�?. In these ones, you can benefit from all the modulations except LoRa, meaning (G)FSK, (G)MSK and BPSK.

So to conclude and to answer your comment accurately, STM32WL is totally suitable to support “an open and competitive world�? 😉 and BTW all STM32WL part numbers contain an embedded SMPS.

For pricing information, please refer to Distribution websites, or you are also very welcome to directly contact your local ST Sales office.

Have a good day.

Anders Dam Kofoed
Associate II

Hi Remi,

Thanks for your response. Honestly, I was a bit confused about the STM32WLx4 line because the header-description does not include LoRa but the "Features" says it does! (picture attached). Should I understand it as a mistake in the description below?

And great about the SMPS - that is the only way forward for a more green world with less battery usage.

Also great to know that you support openness and innovation 🙂 Looking forward to your RISC-V MCU line 🙂

Have a nice day.

0693W000006G8ZKQA0.png

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

​It is not a mistake. It may have been written in a way to lighten the introduction.

But in fact Lora modulation is only available for the STM32WLx5 line.

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

​The feature list apply to both STM32WLx5 /x4 lines.

Anders Dam Kofoed
Associate II

Sorry, but I do not understand your answer.

Reffering to the screenshot above, for the STM32WLE4CC, underneath the section "Features" is a section "Radio" in which the second line "Modulation" contains the word LoRA.

So does the STM32WLE4CC contain a LoRa radio or does it not contain a LoRa radio?

If it does, then the spec-sheet is mistaken (and vice versa).

They have a version of the chip that doesn't support LoRa, not sure of the specific mechanics, but clearly a way of reducing cost/license for that subset of parts.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

The STM32WLE4CC device does not support LoRa modulation.