cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two CubeMX versions on the same Windows machine?

turboscrew
Senior III

Is it possible to have two versions of CubeMX installed (or otherwise used) on one Windows-PC?

My problem is, that an older project used Atollic, and that still needs to be supported. For another project I installed CubeIDE that wanted a newer CubeMX version (6.x). The Atollic used CubeMX 5.x. Now CubeMX 5.6 can't open a ioc-file made with CubeIDE (CubeMX 6.x), and if I just open the ioc-file created with CubeMX 5.x with CubeMX 6.x, the code generation produces code that doesn't work (at least interrupt priorities get set to zero in the ioc-file even if the project is not saved).

It's quite annoying having to re-install CubeMX each time I have to change the project to work with. At least if I need to even open the ioc-file.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Yes, you can have at much versions of CubeMX as you like. Of course you have to manage this "zoo".

Just install them into different folders like e.g.

• STM32CubeMX_5xx
  • STM32CubeMX_6xx

In addition, you should not link the IOC to either, but instead open it through CubeMX.

For easy access and visibility, it may be a good idea to pin them to the Start menu, where they can be renamed from the default name STM32CubeMX to e.g. STM32CubeMX_5xx etc (More > Open File Location --> Rename).

Good luck!

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Yes, you can have at much versions of CubeMX as you like. Of course you have to manage this "zoo".

Just install them into different folders like e.g.

• STM32CubeMX_5xx
  • STM32CubeMX_6xx

In addition, you should not link the IOC to either, but instead open it through CubeMX.

For easy access and visibility, it may be a good idea to pin them to the Start menu, where they can be renamed from the default name STM32CubeMX to e.g. STM32CubeMX_5xx etc (More > Open File Location --> Rename).

Good luck!

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.