cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32MP157C-DK2 M4 debugging issues.

KnarfB
Principal III

Hi,

I have 10 DK2's in a server rack for development and testing. STM32CubeIDE (1.5.0) debugging wants me to specify a serial port and an IP address for debugging. This is IMHO redundant, why? Moreover, the serial ports /dev/ttyACM* are to be selected from a drop-down list. But, those assignments are not persistent. After a reboot of the server or a reconnect of the boards, the ttyACM* changed. I would prefer using the persistent names available at /dev/serial/by-id/usb-STMicroelectronics_STM32_STLink*, but cannot select those in the Debuggger tab.

Finally, the IDE asks me for my credentials several times per debug session. Is there a log which I can inspect to see what's going on behind the windows?

Regards

KnarfB

2 REPLIES 2
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @KnarfB​ ,

To address debugging in so call "production" mode STM32CubeIDE need 3 wires :

• serial console ( to check Linux is alive and discover network IP)
  • Network ( to load firwmare .elf in Linux file system ( faster than serial )
  • JTAG ( to perform debug session )

For non persistence of selected serial port we need further investigation.

Such usage of STM32CubeIDE for // - multiple target debug is a new request.

Could be please share more detail about what you want to achieve ?

One or several IDE instance ? With GUI or headless ?

Just to load and start of firmware or also debugging ( do you really need an IDE ? ) ?

Thanks,

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi Olivier,

thanks for your reply. Actually, this is for a student lab. Every group has assigned a board and has to bring-up some M4 code, aided by STM32CubeIDE GUI.

So there is one board per STM32CubeIDE instance. I was looking for something like specifying the ST-LINK S/N option in the debugger tab for MCUs.

This should work, as the output of

lsusb -vd 0483:3752 | grep iSerial
ls /dev/serial/by-id/usb-STM*

matches. Not sure if "by-id" is available everywhere but you ship STM udev rules anyway.

I understand that this is a new request, so we will work around by loading and starting the firmware locally from the command line and no debuging.

Anyway, multi-instance debugging is not so uncommon.

hth

KnarfB