cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need alternate for this EF6809P Micro processor.

SN.3
Associate II

I need alternate for the following component. Also I need End of Life of the alternate part is about 7 Years.

1. EF6809P(Micro Processor)

I am looking forward your valuable reply.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Ozone
Lead

I'd say, forget about architectural compatibility. The 6809 is about 40 years old.

Port your application to a Cortex M device.

This would probably require rewriting, assuming no HLL was used.

Or consider a FPGA: https://opencores.org/projects/system09

SN.3
Associate II

So there is no direct alternatives for 6809 processor. But Cortex M devices are too advanced since all the related part for 6809 has to match with Cortex M. Also Cortex M devices are having more functionality that may not be required for this particular project.

This forum is mostly user driven. And as such, mostly Cortex M users.

You can of course try to contact ST or a distributor directly, help finding a direct replacement.

> But Cortex M devices are too advanced since all the related part for 6809 has to match with Cortex M. Also Cortex M devices are having more functionality that may not be required for this particular project.

And so what ?

You will want to map all existing functionality to a newer MCU, and not vice versa.

You will find cheap Cortex M0/M0+ devices with low pin count and a lean set of peripherals.

You get about one order of magnitude more performance for a similar price, more than enough to run a cleanly written and maintainable firmware.

In contrast to the assember code of the Z80/8052/6809 era.

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

Look for HDL code for the 6809 out there and implement it in an FPGA if you need cycle-by -cycle compatibility.

SN.3
Associate II

Hi Ozone,

Thank you for your input . I need one final clarification, In the existing design 6809 has PROM, SRAM and PAL connections. if i am going for microcontroller will it be possible to modify existing PROM, SRAM and PAL with cortex M series controller.

Thanks.

I don't know your current design.

As Uwe Bonnes suggested, a PAL could be replaced by a FPGA - if you know the functionality in detail.

But if the PAL only serves as memory/IO address decoder, you can replace the whole batch (MCU, RAM, ROM, PAL) with a Cortex M that has sufficient internal ressources. No need for a PAL then.