cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using ISM330DHCX is there any resources to compute Pitch and Roll?

daethat
Associate

I am currently working off of an Arduino to compute both Pitch and Roll, I do not need the Yaw axis. The application this is being done for requires arduino development so I dont have the opportunity to use a different platform.

I have both the Kalman Filter and Complimentary filter for testing and accurate estimation but I was wondering if there is any ST recommendation for Tilt Estimation on a 6-DoF IMU such as the ISM330DHCX.

The implementation will be within a Metal chamber so ideally no Magnetometer will be used,

I looked through the documentation and I am assuming there is no onboard computation for these factors, unless I am missing anything,

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @daethat​ ,

You may find some hints for your purpose (i.e. Pitch and Roll calculation with the gyroscope) in the Design tip DT0060, that exploits the gyroscope to update tilt measure and e-compass.

ST has developed STM32-related libraries for the angle calculations of ISM330DHCX device (and for the quaternion and device-orientation calculation), such as the MotionFX (doc1 and doc2), or the MotionDI dynamic inclinometer library.

>> I am assuming there is no onboard computation for these factors

There is no embedded integration in time of the gyroscope angular speed within ISM330DHCX fot the angles calculation, if I well understood your consideration. You have to perform it in "post-processing": this because, for an accurate angle calculation, it's important to run periodical real-time gyroscope calibration through angular zero-rate level coefficients (offset), aimed at correcting gyroscope data (e.g. the function implemented in the MotionGC).

-Eleon