cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which package is suited for my project?

SigmaPrime
Senior

Hello

I am working on an IoT project and would like to know which package is suitable for me? I am responsible for customizing the Linux tree, installing packages, set Ethernet, Wi-Fi and the right security protocols from a Hardware point of view.

I used to work with other distributions and use the "make menuconfig" and make linux-menuconfig" to choose everything I need.

I installed the Starter Package but it is empty and I don't know how to proceed.

Can someone tell me if I installed the wrong distribution?

Using a VM slows my laptop that's why I am using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS under WSL2

Best regards

4 REPLIES 4
Christophe Guibout
ST Employee

Hi @SigmaPrime​ ,

I think the following wiki article could help : "Which STM32MPU Embedded Software Package better suits your needs ?".

BR,

Christophe

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hello

Yes I've read that.

But my question is more like: how do I install new packages and how do I configure the Linux tree?

most distros use the "make menuconfig" and "make linux-menuconfig to customize the image before building it. That's what I want.

Christophe Guibout
ST Employee

@SigmaPrime​ ,

Could you please elaborate a bit more about what is a "package" for you ?

To configure the kernel, "make menuconfig" is the right command : The wiki page Menuconfig or how to configure kernel could help you.

Several HOWTO are available under the two following categories:

BR,

Christophe

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Packages: "make", "curl", "wget" "sensor" ... These commands for example.

Kernel Tree: Where you activate firmware, drivers, etc...

I used Buildroot Distro before Yocto and before flashing and making my image I had the possibility to choose which commands, drivers, target packages to use.

• Commands, target packages, Hardware handling, Network through the "menuconfig"
  • the drivers and firmware through "linux-menuconfig" (Kernel configuration)

An Image is provided to see the interface I am talking about. I don't know much about Yocto.

In ubuntu, you could use sudo apt-install .... to install packages to use specific commands and you could also go through the kernel configuration

I hope that it is clearer now.

Thank you