cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No means to detect ASSERT trigger without a debugger for configASSERT(0)

Rajeev Arora
Senior

Hello @ALABB​ , @Khouloud ZEMMELI​ 

I am requesting an enhancement in file FreeRTOSConfig.h. I observe STM32CubeMX adds the file to any STM32H7 project that uses FreeRTOS version 10.2.1 (with CMSIS version 2).

https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeH7/blob/beced99ac090fece04d1e0eb6648b8075e156c6c/Projects/STM32H743I-EVAL/Demonstrations/STemWin/Config/FreeRTOSConfig.h#L121

And in the template file:

https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeH7/blob/beced99ac090fece04d1e0eb6648b8075e156c6c/Middlewares/Third_Party/FreeRTOS/Source/include/FreeRTOSConfig_template.h#L149

During code execution, if

configASSERT(0)

gets executed, the code execution will stop, and without a debugger it is impossible to know why code got stuck.

I therefore request to please update the ST provided Header file, and add a weak function to the statement, which can later be coded by the user.

Is it possible to change the below line of code:

#defineconfigASSERT( x ) if( ( x ) == 0 ) { taskDISABLE_INTERRUPTS(); for( ;; ); }

to:

#define configASSERT( x ) if ((x) == 0) {taskDISABLE_INTERRUPTS(); rvUserAssertInformFunction(__FILE__, __LINE__); for( ;; );}

and add:

__weak void rvUserAssertInformFunction(char * pF, unsigned long ln)
{
  pF = pF;
  ln = ln;
}

Please share your views.

I have already reported my concern to the STM32CubeH7 community, bit it seems they are not the ones who need to make change to the code.

https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeH7/issues/96

Please help.

Thanks,

Rajeev

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Khouloud ZEMMELI
ST Employee

Hi @Rajeev Arora​ ,

After discussed with team, as the user section was made for allowing such flexibility, so you need to add or change it by hand.

As a workaround you can change the USER SECTION as follows :

/* USER CODE BEGIN 1 */

#if defined(__ICCARM__) || defined(__CC_ARM) || defined(__GNUC__)

extern void rvUserAssertInformFunction(char * pF, unsigned long ln);

#endif

#define configASSERT( x ) if ((x) == 0) {taskDISABLE_INTERRUPTS(); rvUserAssertInformFunction(__FILE__, __LINE__); for( ;; );}

/* USER CODE END 1 */

And define the function rvUserAssertInformFunction elsewhere is his application:

- In a USER SECTION of main.c / freertos.c / elsewhere

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Thanks, Khouloud

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Khouloud ZEMMELI
ST Employee

Hi @Rajeev Arora​ 

Your proposal will be discussed internally with the team, I will keep you informed of any decision regarding your request.

Thanks for your feedback, Khouloud

Khouloud ZEMMELI
ST Employee

Hi @Rajeev Arora​ ,

After discussed with team, as the user section was made for allowing such flexibility, so you need to add or change it by hand.

As a workaround you can change the USER SECTION as follows :

/* USER CODE BEGIN 1 */

#if defined(__ICCARM__) || defined(__CC_ARM) || defined(__GNUC__)

extern void rvUserAssertInformFunction(char * pF, unsigned long ln);

#endif

/* USER CODE END 1 */

And define the function rvUserAssertInformFunction elsewhere is his application:

- In a USER SECTION of main.c / freertos.c / elsewhere

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Thanks, Khouloud