cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Function of ALERT pin(#19) for STUSB4500

WGao.1
Associate II

In STUSB4500 datasheet, it says below for ALERT pin:

Pin 19, B2, ALERT, OD, I2C interrupt, active low open drain, To I2C master, ext. pull-up.

What does it mean - is the signal triggered when I2C command is sent from I2C master to STUSB4500?

Thanks,

Winston

5 REPLIES 5
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

ALERT is a signal from the STUSB4500 to the master and signals some transmission. You will also find it in the libraries, e.g. STSW-STUSB003

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
WGao.1
Associate II

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the answer. I have read the STW-STUSB003 but it does not give a hint as to when the signal will be sent.

That is what I want to know: can you give me some examples as to what transmission is signaled? Will the signal be sent once for each I2C transaction?

Thanks,

Winston

Benoit FORET
ST Employee

Hi Winston,

ALERT pin is not triggered I2C events but functional events. In the STSW-STUSB003 package, you can find a DOC directory which contains the product register map. ALERT pin behaviour can be configured by masking/unmasking relevant events or interrupts according to your application requirements. See ALERT_STATUS registers and similar @ 0x0B, 0x0C etc...

Hope it helps,

Rgds,

Benoit

FColl.1
Associate III

@Benoit FORET​  Why has the datasheet not been updated to include the functional description this pin?

Benoit FORET
ST Employee

Hi. Thanks for your suggestion.

So far, this is a choice we made to document software related features in a separate section.

Rgds