cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32769I-EVAL: Demo Software as precompiled binary from ST does not work for board Rev. B

andywild2
Associate III

Hello,

I just ordered a STM32769I-EVAL board, it has revision B.

Reading via ST-Link says:

Version: 0221

Build:  Aug 23 2019 16:24:56

I did some tests and finally wanted to reinstall the original demo software.

So I downloaded the demo binary from ST website as a zip-file:

It had STM32769I-EVAL_DEMO_V1.0.0_FULL.hex in the "binary" folder.

After successfully loading it to the board (internal flash AND external Flash at 0x90000000) the display shows only the ST Logo.

Further debugging showed that the MCU hanges in an endless loop caused by a memory fault exception.

However in the SAME zip-File from ST I found another HEX-File in the STemwin folder:

STM32CubeDemo_STM32F769I-EVAL_V1.4.0.hex

I loaded it with everthing else unchanged to the board and it works fine!!

Conclusion:

In the ST ZIP-File the original ST-Demo is still compiled for an older board version. Even though the readme talks about Reversion B for the board, the readme is dated in 2016 and my board is 2019.

Also strange the version no. of the ST demo is 1.00 which implies even compiled for board revision A!

On the other hand is the version 1.4.0 file from STemwin folder that works fine.

Is it positivly sure that STM32769I-EVAL_DEMO_V1.0.0_FULL.hex is supposed to work with the newest available STM32769I-EVAL boards?

If not I would really appreciate to get a working version of the original ST demo for my board.

Thanks a lot

Andy

2 REPLIES 2

@Mike_ST​ is this current, got a 2018 build date? https://www.st.com/resource/en/compiled_demos/stm32f769i-eval_demo.zip

Not sure there's a huge contingent of F769I-EVAL / F779I-EVAL customers here.

Generally the best rule is to save the internal/external flash content on delivery.

What's the current behaviour? Did you use the ST-LINK Utilities w/External Loader?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
andywild2
Associate III

Hello clive,

Yes, I used the zip from Mike_ST, biuld date 13.12.2018.

I used an external loader (Keil uvision) with ST-Link.

I am sure that the content is transferred correct. (flash and external flash)

As I decribed there is only the ST splash screen showed. It doesn´t thereafter switch to the actual demo menu to select the sub demos.

I can proof that my download enviroment is working correct, because when I download the dedicated STemwin demo (which COMES WITHIN THE SAME ZIP-FILE!!)

everything works fine. This demo is of version 1.4.0, so it has experienced some development.

But the big original demo demo from ST is still version 1.0.0. Don´t you agree that it is still made for board revision "A" only?

Another thing is that the actual schematics for this board still show the display module with touch controller revision A only (I2C adress 0x54).

However the revision B board has the FT6336G answering at 0x70! (I checked that my display module is answering at 0x70!)

Please where can I get documentation about the differences between revision A and B?

Where can I get the schematics for the display module with the new FT6336G?

Thank you indeed for your help

Andy