cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why both STM32CubeIDE and STM32CubeMX ?

RPasc.2
Associate III

Why/why not would I use one IDE over the other ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

STM32CubeIDE is integrating part of STM32CubeMX product. Being short I would say integrate all STM32CubeMX features except the one dedicated to IDEs which are not STM32CubeIDE.

STM32CubeMX is IDE vendor agnostic. If STM32CubeMX you can ask to generate material for Keil, IAR, ... solutions.

If relying on integrated solution obviously only supported IDE is STM32CubeIDE itself.

If aiming to target only STM32CubeIDE maybe good idea on rely on as a whole. Integration especially if beginner may help. Up to you. In any case both working models are fully supported like using STM32CubeIDE only or STM32CubeMX and STM32CubeIDE.

STM32CubeIDE is all in one solution including devices / examples selection, device configuration, code editing, debug on target. STM32CubeMX is supporting devices / examples selection, device configuration.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MJean.3
Associate III

Hi,

I apologize but english is not my natural language ...

As I am a beginner, I think I can answer your question !

ST products are so numerous with so numerous options, that you need a software to select the board you have and then to parameter inputs and outputs : it is Cube MX.

This software builds a .ioc file containing your parameters.

Now, you want to develop your software. So you use IDE. When you create your project, you tell it what .ioc to use and all parameters are imported in the IDE.

It is not very easy, but I could build a small app. In the source of it, I can use the names of the pins that I writed in MX. Ie 'LED_rouge', 'bouton_poussoir', ...

But now, you need a third software to download your app into the board : it is ST_Link. And this one I can't do it work. He says me 'there is an error'; I would like to know what kind of erreor it is !!!!

I hope this helps !

Jean In Grenoble (France)

RPasc.2
Associate III

Thanks for your clear explanation. I now understand that 'MX is a configuration code generator for particular existing development boards with STM32F processors and specific peripheral-to-IO-pin sets on (LCD, USB, SD card, etc.).

Merci !

Ray in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA

Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

STM32CubeIDE is integrating part of STM32CubeMX product. Being short I would say integrate all STM32CubeMX features except the one dedicated to IDEs which are not STM32CubeIDE.

STM32CubeMX is IDE vendor agnostic. If STM32CubeMX you can ask to generate material for Keil, IAR, ... solutions.

If relying on integrated solution obviously only supported IDE is STM32CubeIDE itself.

If aiming to target only STM32CubeIDE maybe good idea on rely on as a whole. Integration especially if beginner may help. Up to you. In any case both working models are fully supported like using STM32CubeIDE only or STM32CubeMX and STM32CubeIDE.

STM32CubeIDE is all in one solution including devices / examples selection, device configuration, code editing, debug on target. STM32CubeMX is supporting devices / examples selection, device configuration.