cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the LMSDSOX self emitting radio waves? Does it need antenna? If we want to extract angles from the output data would they be static or relative angle?

LMAKU.1
Associate

In addition I would like to know if the LMSDSOX could be associted to ST Qi-compliant inductive wireless power receiver (5W) in order to be energized with contact less solution.

3 REPLIES 3
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @LMAKU.1​ ,

>> Is the LSM6DSOX self emitting radio waves? Does it need antenna? 

No, the IMU doesn't include a BLE or WiFi antenna. It communicates via physical wires in SPI or I2C protocols. You can of course combine the with other ST products (BLE / WiFi antennas), and I suggest you to refer to existing reference designs for this purpose, such as the B-L475E-IOT01A kit or the STEVAL-STWINKT1.

If you are otherwise referring to the EMI parameters (whether the LSM6DSOX it is a source of unwanted radiated emissions), the device is compliant with the standard consumer-product regulations.

>> If we want to extract angles from the output data would they be static or relative angle?

It depends. If you want to extract the device tilt angle value, you can use the accelerometer data as described in this application note (or this other one) and you will obtain an absolute tilt angle (with respect to the direction of the gravity field).

0693W000005CZsCQAW.pngIf on the other side you intend to extract the angle information from the rotational/angular speed (i.e., from the gyroscope data), it will be a relative angle, since it comes from the integration of the speed versus time and the integration. In this case, you'll need an initial angular reference (usually obtained using a magnetometer that can evaluate the absolute position of the device with respect to the Earth magnetic field).

-Eleon

LMAKU.1
Associate

Thank you for your first answer. What about the last question: In addition I would like to know if the LMSDSOX could be associted to ST Qi-compliant inductive wireless power receiver (5W) in order to be energized with contact less solution.?

Hi @LMAKU.1​ ,

yes, the LMSDSOX can be associated to the STWLC68, in the sense that you can build a board with both the IMU and the power receiver on it, without permanent damage risk. It might however better not to acquire data during the charging, that may affect the accuracy of the device output under thermal aspect.

-Eleon