cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPAD Array size and optics differences between VL53L1, VL53L3, VL53L5

DYan.2
Associate

I'd like to know what the differences are between the VL53L1, L3 and L5 from an optics and SPAD array perspective. From this question (https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00000EmGT5/i-want-to-implement-lidar-using-multiple-vl53l3cx) it seems like the difference between the L1 and L3 is that the L1 has a lens and the L3 does not. However, is the L3 still using the same 16x16 SPAD array as the L1, or does it just use a single diode?

My questions boil down to:

• Which optics are on each of the three sensors
  • What size SPAD array are on each of the three sensors
  • What are the differences between the L1 and the L5 if they are both lensed

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

The L0, L1, L2 and new L4 all have the same SPAD array. There are 256 SPADS but some are slightly occluded so you will probably never see more than 200 or so in your data collection data.

Indeed the difference with the L1 is it's lens over the RX side, and we put the optical filter on the outside so it looks nicer.

The L5 has a lot more stuff. A much bigger SPAD array, but we aren't saying how big.

It has an optical diffuser over the VCSEL so you get a 45 degree pyramid of light instead of a cone.

An it has a focusing lens over the RX side.

Oh, and a much more powerful processor to handle the conplexity.

• john

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.