cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H730VB USB HS via external ULPI PHY not available in CubeMX

xorly
Associate II

MCU selector in CubeMX finds H730VB when i set requirements to USB HS and 2x FDCAN. Unfortunately, it is not possible to select external ULPI PHY in USB_OTG_HS configuration. Only internal PHY is available. When checked against datasheet, H730VB should be able use external ULPI PHY after switching some PC pins.

STM32H723VB does not seem to have this issue in CubeMX.

What am I doing wrong?

6 REPLIES 6
Lubos KOUDELKA
ST Employee

Hello,

you're not doing anything wrong, unfortunately it's not feasible to route together configuration with USB_HS ULPI and 2x FDCAN on this package. You would need to choose bigger package with more pins (BGA144, BGA169, BGA176+25).

xorly
Associate II

Hi,

Thank you for answer, however CubeMX does not allow me to use ULPI on H730 even though, there are no pins occupied by other peripherals...

0693W000005CCtvQAG.png 

In contrast, no problems configuring H723 in LQFP100

0693W000005CCv3QAG.pngIt also allows you to use FDCAN1 and FDCAN3 together with ULPI. Yes, FDCAN2 is unavailable due to pin collision, but I need just 2 FDCANs...

H730 an H723 share same pin functions (at least on these used pins). The only special requirement is necessity to switch PC2_C to PC2 and PC3_C to PC3. Identical requirements for both MCUs.

0693W000005CCvXQAW.png 

In datasheet, both MCUs (LQFP100) share same specs inFDCAN and USB sections:

0693W000005CCvNQAW.png 

It seems to me like some bug in CubeMX or missing information in datasheet.

Andreas Bolsch
Lead II

As the H723 and H730 are actually the same die (with encryption functionality permanently disabled or flash partially untested) , that's most certainly a bug in CubeMX.

diff -u STM32H730VBTx.xml STM32H723VGTx.xml reveals that indeed the GPIO alternatives for PC2_C and PC3_C are missing (see attachment), which precisely resembles the problem. Until that is fixed, a makeshift solution would be to use H723 or H733 and make sure you don't use more than 128k of flash, or edit your STM32H730VBTx.xml under db/mcu appropriately. No promises that this works, but ...

Even in STM32H730IBKxQ.xml PC2_C, PC3_C and some more are affected, too. So probably all H730 variants.

Have you found a solution for this or have a workaround that works? Thanks.

I am using H723 for pin planning. PCB is already manufactured manufactured, but H730 in LQFP100 is sold out almost everywhere, so I can't confirm that ULPI works.