cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatible quad spi memories. Micron is not making the N25Q128A quad spi flash memory. My question is, are the instruction sets the same on other manufacturers quad spi flash memory chips?

Ehill.16
Senior

5 REPLIES 5

Similar, but different enough in ways that matter. Configuration registers, command set variation, defaults, dummy cycles, serialization methods..

You can read the JEDEC ID in a fairly generic way, and adapt and adjust.

Don't use exotic footprints or niche devices, where possible use the fat SOIC-16 packages, everyone and their dog has that foot-print and it doesn't have weird land patterns or ground pads.

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000BVoMVV/which-qspi-flash-would-you-choose-for-custom-board

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Thing of especial note, the 128Mbit (16MB) is 3-byte addressing, for larger devices you're going to have to reconfigure device or use secondary commands inferring address width

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Looking at the Macronix application note that compares the Micron N25Q128A with Macronix MX25U12835F, the instruction sets are very similar. We are just using the quadspi flash to store measurement data for now. In the future we will also log operator and environment sensor data to allow for operational optimization and trouble shooting. We want to use the STM32H753 part. Do you think that the QSPI driver for the STM32F746 Discovery board will work with the Micronix part without modifying the driver too much? Thanks in advance.

It would surprise me if it worked without modification or adjustment.

I mounted ZIF sockets on the NUCLEOs to test performance/drivers with different ICs.

Unless you're going to inventory large stocks of a specific part I'd be going into the design assuming that within a few years a FLASH part would need substituting in the BOM due to pricing or availability issues.

Having secondary choices also provides for leverage in pricing between vendors.

Sorry, not familiar with your product life cycles or volumes..