cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My questions about EVAL-L9963 are following: Does it work with NiMH battery chemistry? Can it support each individual channel voltages of up to 14.4V nominal voltages (voltages may vary as high as 18.8V)? Can it perform passive and/or active balancing?

VVasy.1
Associate

I am working on BMS type of system that will recondition, balance, and maintain NiMH HEV batteries. I'm considering to use L9963 IC and its accompanying evaluation board EVAL-L9963 for my prototype. My system consists of nickel-metal hydride battery with 14 battery blocks connected in series with each block at 14.4 V nominal voltage(total nominal battery pack voltage about 202V) as shown in the figure below.

0693W000005BwmPQAS.png 

2 REPLIES 2
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The website of the L9963 mentiones the measurement range per cell (per tap), so your 14.4V is way outside the limits:

16-bit voltage measurement with maximum error of ±2 mV in the [1.7 – 4.7] V range, in whole operating temp range

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best.

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @VVasy.1​ welcome to the ST Community.

Does Peter’s explanation answer your question? If so, please "Select as Best" button in its reply.