cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add CRC value to axe file

lorenzo meneghello_2
Associate II

Hi all,

I'm trying to add the STM CRC32 to the hex or axf file, after this I need to convert it to .bin file because I've a Bootloader and I want to check the CRC32 to see if there's a valid image stored. I'm using srec_cat but doesn't work.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
TDK
Guru

Consider adding more details to your question. Taking the CRC of a sequence of bytes should be doable. What about it doesn't work? Note that adding a CRC to a .BIN file will now change the CRC of the BIN file, so you must be careful in how it is calculated.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
MSipo
Senior II

You could add a 4 byte space after the vector table and later insert the CRC there using a specially written program. And then the bootloader can get the CRC from that address. And the CRC function will of cause skip those 4 bytes when calculating the checksum.

DCD     DMA2_Channel5_IRQHandler  ; DMA2 Channel 5
        DCD     0                         ; Reserved
        DCD     COMP_ACQ_IRQHandler       ; Comparator Channel Acquisition 
        DCD     0                         ; Placeholder for the CRC
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;
;; Default interrupt handlers.
;;
        THUMB

PUBWEAK Reset_Handler
        SECTION .text:CODE:REORDER:NOROOT(2)
Reset_Handler
        LDR     R0, =SystemInit
        BLX     R0
        LDR     R0, =__iar_program_start
        BX      R0

I use srec_cat to generate the CRC from the .hex file through this command ".\App.hex -intel -crop 0x08004000 0x0801F7FC -crc32-b-e 0x0801F7FC -o .\App_CRC.bin -binary " the file .bin generated contain the CRC but all other byte is zero. I've the Bootloader from 0x8000000 to 0x8003FFF and the application from 0x8004000 to 0x801F800 so I wanted to put the CRC value 4 byte before the end of section so at address 0x801F7FC. MSipo's answer is also interesting.