cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't uninstall STM32Cube Programmer V2.5.0 from Windows 10 laptop

FPayn.1
Associate II

0693W000005BaJpQAK.jpgWhen I use the normal Win10 'Add/Remove' programs utility to uninstall ST32Cube Programmer, I get the following error

"Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_261\bin\javaw.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." (see attached image).

I don't have any current need for the STM32Cube Programmer, so I'd like to get rid of it for the time being - how do I do that?

TIA,

Frank

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

You have probably already uninstalled this Java version with which the STM32CubeProgrammer was installed. However, you can of course uninstall the STM32CubeProgrammer manually:

• create a text file using notepad, e.g. c:\users\public\xyz.reg, with the following content:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\STM32CubeProgrammer 2.5.0]
  • start cmd using admin rights
  • enter the command:
    • regedit c:\users\public\xyz.reg ...yes, you are sure to continue... --> should return a message box: The keys and values... added to the registry.
  • remove the STM32CubeProgrammer folder:
    • rmdir /s /q "C:\Program Files\STMicroelectronics\STM32Cube\STM32CubeProgrammer25"
  • remove the startmenu entries:
    • del /q "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\STM32CubeProgrammer25.lnk"
    • del /q "C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\STM32CubeProgrammer25.lnk"
  • remove the reg file if done successfully:
    • del /q c:\users\public\xyz.reg
  • exit admin mode

That's it!

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best.

Good luck!

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

You have probably already uninstalled this Java version with which the STM32CubeProgrammer was installed. However, you can of course uninstall the STM32CubeProgrammer manually:

• create a text file using notepad, e.g. c:\users\public\xyz.reg, with the following content:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\STM32CubeProgrammer 2.5.0]
  • start cmd using admin rights
  • enter the command:
    • regedit c:\users\public\xyz.reg ...yes, you are sure to continue... --> should return a message box: The keys and values... added to the registry.
  • remove the STM32CubeProgrammer folder:
    • rmdir /s /q "C:\Program Files\STMicroelectronics\STM32Cube\STM32CubeProgrammer25"
  • remove the startmenu entries:
    • del /q "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\STM32CubeProgrammer25.lnk"
    • del /q "C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\STM32CubeProgrammer25.lnk"
  • remove the reg file if done successfully:
    • del /q c:\users\public\xyz.reg
  • exit admin mode

That's it!

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing Select as Best.

Good luck!

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
FPayn.1
Associate II

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately my setup did not conform fully to your scripts, but it was close enough so I could follow it ;-). In most places, instead of 'STM32CubeProgrammer25' it was 'STM32CubeProgrammer'. The reg script didn't do anything, but the registry location allowed me to do it myself

I can't believe you guys built an uninstall program that depends on a specific version of java

Frank

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Good to know it worked for you.

Regarding Java: the STM32CubeProgrammer is a huge project indeed, so it will take (took some) time to change its basic layer. But you can look forward - the next version of STM32CubeProgrammer will embed its own Java, so stay tuned.

<edit>

The new CubeProgrammer has arrived - see here!

</edit>

/Peter