cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would I go about adding GPS and Cellular connectivity to the SensorTile? I was looking into using the Cellular LTE-M and NB-IoT connectivity expansion board with STM32L496AG MCU and the Teseo-LIV3F GPS module.

SZamm.1
Associate II

3 REPLIES 3
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @SZamm.1​ ,

I'm not a great expert on this topic, but I'm not sure it's an easy task to add these two features (GPS and Cellular connectivity) to the SensorTile.

I would start from other sensor platforms, such as the STWINKT1, or from the B-L475E-IOT01A Discovery kit for IoT node.

For the STWINKT1 in particular, it supports BLE wireless connectivity through an on-board module, and Wi-Fi connectivity through a special plugin expansion board (STEVAL-STWINWFV1). The core system board also includes an STMod+ connector for compatible, low cost, small form factor daughter boards associated with the STM32 family, such as the LTE Cell pack.

The other suggested platform, the IoT node, can support a broad MCU & MPU Embedded Software that can be found on this page. There are also correlated online user manuals that explain the usage of these packs.

-Eleon

Thank you Eleon. Do you know if the STWINKT1 can support a GPS addon board as well as the stMOD+ LTE pack at the same time?

I was looking into the different MCUs that are in the sensorTile and the STWINKT1. Do you know what the difference is between the STM32L4R9 and the STM32L476JG is?

Hi @SZamm.1​ ,

>> Do you know if the STWINKT1 can support a GPS addon board as well as the stMOD+ LTE pack at the same time?

I don't believe there is a custom GPS add-on board for the STWINKT1, unfortunately... ST portfolio includes the X-NUCLEO-GNSS1A1 global navigation satellite system (GNSS) module, and you might in principle interface it with the STWINKT, but not sure it is an easy task...

>> Do you know what the difference is between the STM32L4R9 and the STM32L476JG is?

Coming from the same STM32L4 family, both the uCs are designed for low power application (Vdd = 1.8V) for IoT and battery-powered platforms. The core is the Cortex M4. The main differences are the FLASH and the RAM capability (higher on L4R9 devices) and the current consumption (lower for the L476 familty). L4R9 devices are equipped also with MIPI Display Serial Interface.

-Eleon