cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, I am just wondering about VL53L1CB range sensing solution for Liquid level detection, do you think the photons from Transmitter would get reflected from the Liquids? Please let me know your thoughts about it. Thanks, Naga.

NAmam.2
Associate

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Of all the liquids water is the most interesting. Basically because it's largely transparent. I used to say it doesn't work. But then a customer proved me wrong.

The trick is to use the VL53L1X and use it's zone capability. If you can find a narrow field of view that is perpendicular to the water, use that zone. It will have a much larger signal return, and It will be the most accurate.

With ripples, trurbid, or foammy water, the answer will be just fine for all the zones. But for still, clean water the only accurate zone will be the one with the largest signal return.

But yes, it will work.

Oil - even really black fuel oil is not a problem.

And being in a dark tank really helps.

Good luck,

• john

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Of all the liquids water is the most interesting. Basically because it's largely transparent. I used to say it doesn't work. But then a customer proved me wrong.

The trick is to use the VL53L1X and use it's zone capability. If you can find a narrow field of view that is perpendicular to the water, use that zone. It will have a much larger signal return, and It will be the most accurate.

With ripples, trurbid, or foammy water, the answer will be just fine for all the zones. But for still, clean water the only accurate zone will be the one with the largest signal return.

But yes, it will work.

Oil - even really black fuel oil is not a problem.

And being in a dark tank really helps.

Good luck,

• john

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.
NAmam.2
Associate

Thank you John for the information. Very helpful.

-Naga.