cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a pin-compatible and code-compatible alternative to the STM32F051C8T6?

OLand.1
Associate II

The STM32F051C8T6 is currently unavailable on the market. It is liste as an active part but lead times are currently many months. I have a working PCB and firmware for this MCU. I would like to switch to an alternative MCU of this family without reworking the PCB or firmware, if possible.

5 REPLIES 5

This appears to be a trend: https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00000MAYeHSAX/stm32f030c8-longevity-support (this is an identical chip).

There is great deal of mutual compatibility within the 'F0 family, but of course the success of porting depends on the minute details.

Assuming your application needs the 64kB FLASH so you can't migrate "downwards", you may want to have a look at 'F071C8/CB (maybe even 'F072) and maybe 'F091CB/CC (but that may be too far off). Notable difference is pin 35 and 36, which in 'F07x gave up PF6/PF7 in exchange for an extra pair of supply pins, so that may be a showstopper.

JW

Contact your local sales office, and the FAE supporting your account.

24 week lead times currently, place your orders now because time will continue to push out if you dither.

Seem to have some availability at Avnet and AliExpress

>>..without reworking the PCB or firmware, if possible.

This is going to be quite limiting. You might have to change software at the very least, should be able to read IC code, and adapt.

New IC's on tighter geometries likely going to need board/software changes.

How much FLASH/RAM does your current design actually use?

https://www.st.com/en/microcontrollers-microprocessors/stm32f0x1.html

STM32F091CCT6

STM32F031C6T6

More availability in the 48-Pin UFQFPN

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Wafer starts of some of the older parts/geometry clearly look to be constrained currently.

If people dither their delivery date will keep pushing outward until ST stops taking orders.

You might otherwise have to source parts from arbitrage suppliers, or places like AliExpress exposing available stock off-shore.

Acting quickly would be of the essence here, as pricing will spike as availability drops, and people holding stock realize the value.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Thank you so much! I will look at the data sheets of these possible alternatives.

OL

Thank you very much for your hints! I will study the data sheets of the parts you point to.

I need most of the 64KB flash available in the 'F051. I could probably do with 4KB of RAM instead of 8. Obviously, the set of peripherals must suit my application as well.

OL