cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facing linking error Error[Lp015]: section placement failure: overcommitted content in [0x2000'0020-0x2000'0028] while running x-cube-classb-v2-3-0 with IAR 8.40.1

Anitha
Associate III

Hi Sir/Madam,

I'm trying to compile x-cube-classb-v2-3-0 STM32G081B_Eval project in IAR 8.40.1 but it giving below linker error.

Error[Lp015]: section placement failure: overcommitted content in [0x2000'0020-0x2000'0028] 

It is compiling fine with IAR 8.32.3 but with IAR 8.40.1 not working. STL 2.3.0 tested with IAR 8.32. I would like to know changes need to done in the STL testcase in order to work with IAR 8.40.1.

Please help to resolve this error?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RLalj.1
Associate II

Hello @Anitha​  @Amel NASRI​  @ad'ag.1​ ,

Facing the same problem with IAR 8.40.1.

But there may be two solutions that I come up with.

1. Increase the region size (Added 8 byte more) and update the ending address from 0x2000'0028 to 0x2000'0030 for RUN_TIME_RAM_PNT_region. OR
  2. Edit the __ICFEDIT_region_IRAM1_start__ to 0x2000'0030, so the RAM portion cannot be overlapped.

Both solutions compiled with zero errors. Is this the right solution for this problem? I go for the first one right now.

Also I've some doubt about the runtime partial RAM test:

Why this library test only the class-B RAM region for runtime RAM test? Why not full RAM? Is there a particular reason behind this?

-Thanks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hi @Anitha​ ,

I was able to reproduce this error with IAR 8.40.2.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention, it is reported internally.

We will keep you informed if there is a workaround to apply on your side.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi Amel,

are there any updates about this topic? I am facing the same problem with IAR 8.40.3...

RLalj.1
Associate II

Hello @Anitha​  @Amel NASRI​  @ad'ag.1​ ,

Facing the same problem with IAR 8.40.1.

But there may be two solutions that I come up with.

1. Increase the region size (Added 8 byte more) and update the ending address from 0x2000'0028 to 0x2000'0030 for RUN_TIME_RAM_PNT_region. OR
  2. Edit the __ICFEDIT_region_IRAM1_start__ to 0x2000'0030, so the RAM portion cannot be overlapped.

Both solutions compiled with zero errors. Is this the right solution for this problem? I go for the first one right now.

Also I've some doubt about the runtime partial RAM test:

Why this library test only the class-B RAM region for runtime RAM test? Why not full RAM? Is there a particular reason behind this?

-Thanks

Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Dear All,

Please note that the various STL packages are certified using the IDE versions as specified in table 3 of AN4435 (Guidelines for obtaining UL/CSA/IEC 60730-1/60335-1 Class B certification in any STM32 application).

In case there is any incompatibility issue, you need to refer to the Table 8. How to manage compatibility aspects and configure STL package.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thanks @RLalj.1​ for coming back with your solution.