cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patient indoor localization. Which sensor can be interfaced with the B-L475E-IOT01A board?

LBibb.1
Associate III

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @Luigi Bibbo´​ ,

About your question, there are a lot of sensors on the B-L475E-IOT01A platform, and some of them can be linked to indoor navigation: inertial IMU (LSM6DSL) for the (pedestrian) dead reckoning, 3-axial magnetometer for the absolute direction recognition and eCompass application (LIS3MDL) and pressure sensor (LPS22HB), for the height (floors) estimation. Here you can find the theoretical aspects of these algorithms, while for source code you could find hints at this st.com page, or contact sales and representatives from you geographical area.

Moreover, on top of the sensors there is also a 802.11 b/g/n compliant Wi-Fi module onboard for Cloud communication.

-Eleon

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @Luigi Bibbo´​ ,

About your question, there are a lot of sensors on the B-L475E-IOT01A platform, and some of them can be linked to indoor navigation: inertial IMU (LSM6DSL) for the (pedestrian) dead reckoning, 3-axial magnetometer for the absolute direction recognition and eCompass application (LIS3MDL) and pressure sensor (LPS22HB), for the height (floors) estimation. Here you can find the theoretical aspects of these algorithms, while for source code you could find hints at this st.com page, or contact sales and representatives from you geographical area.

Moreover, on top of the sensors there is also a 802.11 b/g/n compliant Wi-Fi module onboard for Cloud communication.

-Eleon

Hello Eleon,

thank you for your reply. I need wearable sensors. How can I make B-L475E-IOT01A wearable ?

Best regards

Luigi

Hi Luigi,

there is no official 3D box for lodging the B-L475E-IOT01A board in a wereable case, but you could use this other tool's STL file: "STEVAL-MKSBOX1V1 Alternative box cover to use as a wearable on the user wrist for 3D Printer (STL)".

The B-L475E-IOT01A dimensions are 7cm x 4cm, while the SensorTile.box is about 6.5cm x 3.5cm. So, the B-L475E-IOT01A is a littel bigger than the SensorTile.box, but you can modify and adapt it if you have a CAD tool...

-Eleon

Hi Eleon,

thank you. There is the problem to power supply of the B-L475E-IOT01A board.

Best regards

Luigi

Well yes, it is supposed to be powered by USB cable, it is not "natively" wearable.

For an "intrinsic" wearable solution you could switch to the STEVAL-MKSBOX1V1, to the STEVAL-STLKT01V1 or to the STEVAL-STWINKT1 kits.

-Eleon

Hello Eleon,

the ST board can enable to get indoor localization with RSSI or ToF ?

Thank you

Best regards

luigi

Hi Luigi,

please note that the onboard ToF sensor (VL53L0X) can measures absolute range up to 2 meters (acting as a Lidar), so can be a little limited if used alone for indoor object positioning.

About the "RSSI method", yes, the board has an embedded 802.11 b/g/n compliant Wi-Fi module, but I believe it is a little complex to be implemented, although I'm surely not an expert about this topic... If based on the WiFi signal, as long as the WiFi can detect three or three more known WiFi hotspots' positions (triangulation method), it would be relatively easy to realize self-localization, but you have to know WiFi access points locations are fixed. The key problem is that the RSSI value is relatively vulnerable to the influence of the physical environment, causing large calculation error in RSSI-based localization algorithm.

If based on BLE signal intensity, however, ST has developed a design kit (here the description), but you must have a couple of devices.

-Eleon

Hi Eleon,

thank you very much for your suggestion.

Best regards

Luigi

Hi Eleon,

thank you for your suggestions. If I understand, I can use also iBeacons and bluetooth communication with B-L475E-IOT01A

Best regards

Luigi