cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32MP153/157 periphery

Pkats.1
Associate II

Hey,

As a hardware engineer, I worked for a long time with the M7 controller.

For a Specific Algorithm, It seems like I should use a stronger core then the M7 480Mhz, when the purpose is to Calculate in Real-time.

one of the options is to use the MP153/157 with 2 cores 800Mhz each, for Better performance.

in case that I would like to work Bare metal- without operating system like Linux, and the entire purpose of the MPU is to calculate and send the data in serial communication, what is the minimum periphery the MPU Demands?

external DRAM is necessary ?

in simple words, can I just “supply�? the component?

what are the Consequences in using MPU Vs MCU, except from Power Consumption?

Best regards

peleg

1 REPLY 1
PatrickF
ST Employee

MPU such as STM32MP15x are much complex product than MCUs, and learning curve is usually longer if you start from MCU experience.

Bare-Metal on Cortex-A7 is not supported by ST SW deliveries nor Tools such as CubeIDE or CubeMX. Nevertheless, there might be 3rd party which could help you.

External DRAM is almost necessary due to low amount of embedded memory, but this might not be the major issue if you reuse existing design/configurations (ST EV1 or DK2 board, or use HW from any 3rd party SOM or SiP modules).

Notice that using dual core in a bare-metal SW will be complex to do (memory sharing, resource/load balancing, etc...).

Using Linux might allow you to benefit of a large SW ecosystem.

Notice also that from paper, Cortex-A7 (~3 Coremark/MHz per core using GCC) is not as powerful than Cortex-M7 (~5 Coremark/MHz using IAR), except if your processing can benefit of NEON accelerator or specific Cortex-A optimizations.

Looking at wiki and the following posts and Application Notes could help you:

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000B06m50SQA/porting-to-stm32mp1-ethernet-and-other-peripherals

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00000GYk3RSAT/how-to-manage-usb-with-a-baremetal-application-

AN5253 and AN5031

Official partners for STM32MP1 series.

Regards.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.