cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F4 training ?

SElli.11
Associate III

Hi,

I have found 12 videos on Youtube for the STM32CubeIDE - basics but these require the use of a Nucleo-G071RB board.

I have an STM32F407VGT6 based Discovery board. Does ST provide any training materials for the STM32F407 line of MCUs utilising the STM32CubeIDE ?

Best regards,

Stuart

7 REPLIES 7
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @SElli.11​ ,

The User manual UM2609 Description of the integrated development environment for STM32 products, details the STM32CubeIDE features and usage, including how to get started, create and build C/C++ projects using NUCLEO-F401RE board.

You can follow this ST video How to use STM32CubeIDE, that helps you in the IP configuration, code generation, compilation, and debug features.

There is also the STM32 step-by-step guide with STM32CubeIDE, showing how to use this tool, configure and run properly your first project with the STM32 microcontroller.

The available documents and videos can be applied for all STM32 microcontrollers.

I'd recommend you to have a look on the ready examples projects available in the STM32CubeF4 firmware packages. There is no example projects in STM32CubeIDE formats, but in this case you can use the import/convert feature (UM2579) of the project from System Workbench for STM32 (SW4STM32) to STM32CubeIDE.

Please, let me know if this is helpful for you?

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

It is quite an old board, and these things are all more similar than they are different.​

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
SElli.11
Associate III

Hi Clive1,

Thank you for such a swift reply. About the age of my board: I was gifted this board some time ago so I suppose you are right. However when one does not have salary/wages nor even benefits/welfare then acquiring a more up-to-dste board is not really feasible.

Best regards,

Stuart

Hi Imen,

Thank you for such a swift and very helpful reply. The video and pdf's will(!) prove very useful.

I now have some questions regarding the software. Step 1 of the step-by-step guide (that you provided a link for in your response) lists three packages that need to be downloaded. I have already installed STM32CubeIDE. When I first booted it up and selected my board, the IDE downloaded approx. 600MB of further software.

Could this download have already installed both of the STM32CubeMX and STM32CubeProg packages ?

How can I tell whether or not those packages are currently within the IDE ?

Best regards,

Stuart

Nikita91
Lead II

Don't worry!

The STM32F407 is a heavily used MCU far from obsolete.

It's a good board to start.

Hi Nikita91,

Thank you for your reply. The board is well stocked with various subsystems so I am hoping that it will allow me to learn about the usual three protocols used in embedded, I2C, SPI, and UART.

First though, I am going to work through the ST video How to use STM32CubeIDE and then try to get the 12 ST videos that I found on Youtube (see my original posting) working with my STM32F407VGT6 Discovery board.

And so the journey begins ... 🙂

Best regards,

Stuart

Hi @SElli.11​ ,

You will need to download and install these tools separately for programming the STM32:

• STM32CubeIDE: a development platform with peripheral configuration, code generation, code compilation, and debug features for STM32 microcontrollers and microprocessors. (STM32CubeIDE integrates STM32CubeMX functionalities that you have to install it)
  • STM32CubeMX : is a graphical tool that allows a fast and very easy configuration of STM32 MCUs/MPUs (pins, clock tree, peripherals ,..), as well as the generation of the corresponding initialization C code. I recommend that you have a look to this user Manual UM1718 "STM32CubeMx for STM32 configuration and initialization C code generation".
  • STM32CubeProg is a tool for programming STM32 products:  for reading, writing and verifying device memory through both the debug interface (JTAG and SWD) and the bootloader interface (UART, USB DFU, I2C, SPI, and CAN). You will find more details in the UM2237 and in the related documentations available on the page of this tool.

I hope that is clear now for you.

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen