cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Null pointer check needed in HAL_I2C_Mem_Write_DMA

iforce2d
Associate III

(STM32Cube_FW_F1_V1.8.2/Drivers/STM32F1xx_HAL_Driver/Src/stm32f1xx_hal_i2c.c)

In HAL_I2C_Mem_Write_DMA, hi2c->hdmarx may be null but this is not being checked. This causes a crash when invoking HAL_DMA_Abort_IT if there is no DMA used for receiving.

0693W000004IsdnQAC.png

btw is there a better place to report this?

Also, does anyone know why this website is so incredibly slow?

3 REPLIES 3
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @iforce2d​ ,

Thank you for your contribution.

I will check this reported issue and come back to you soon with update.

What do you means please : "this website is so incredibly slow?" Do you have a problem to connect on the Community ?

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @iforce2d​ ,

Basically it was introduced due to the implementation of the "callback registration" mechanism.

Even a hardfault might occurs when only RX DMA or TX DMA is used and configured. So the issue is with possible NULL pointer hi2c->hdmatx or hi2c->hdmarx in routines I2C_DMAXferCplt, I2C_DMAError, I2C_DMAAbort.

So, the idea was to update I2C_DMAXferCplt(), I2C_DMAError() and I2C_DMAAbort() APIs when hdmatx and hdmarx parameters in i2c handle aren't initialized (NULL pointer) by adding a check on hi2c->hdmtx and hi2c->hdmarx before resetting DMA Tx/Rx complete callbacks.

This was already fixed and integrated in STM32CubeF1V1.8.1.

Please select my answer as Best if satisfy your need, so that this thread will marked as solved.

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hi @iforce2d​ ,

You're right, after more check and investigate, I confirm that there's a typo here:

/* Abort the ongoing DMA */

dmaxferstatus = HAL_DMA_Abort_IT(hi2c->hdmarx);

It should be hdmatx as some code after we check hdmatx value.

This issue will be fixed in the impacted families: STM32F1, STM32F2, STM32F4 and STM32L1.

Thanks you for your contribution and reported issue.

Imen

Thanks
Imen