cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error on entering debug mode

AJafa.2
Associate II

Hi everyone,

After using IAR and Keil for several years, i decided to try STM32IDE.

I generated an initialization code using STM32cubemx, and used STM32IDE for compiling and programming my STM32 board. However, it generated an error and was not able to enter debugging mode.

I tried the same initialization code with IAR, and it worked fine.

Does anyone knows what is wrong with the debugging on STM32IDE? any specific configuration needed?

Thanks,

7 REPLIES 7
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

What is STM32IDE?

AJafa.2
Associate II

STM32CubeIDE v1.4.0

alister
Lead

>it generated an error

The error?

AJafa.2
Associate II

The error message screenshot is attached.

Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

If you generate a project with CubeMX then you will get different initialization code if it's generated for IAR or for CubeIDE.

Could you share the project with me so I can take a look?

Hi Markus,

Thanks for your response,

Actually, i am aware of the fact that the generated code for IAR and STM32cubeIDE would be different when CubeMX tool is used. i meant that when i only change the target IDE from the CubeMX setting, the very same setting results in this issue in STM32CubeIDE.

please find attached the project file, this compiles without any error, but when i try to enter debug mode i get that error.

Thanks,

Ali

I tried your project and I switched debug level to none and then default value (-g) and then it worked. So then I tried to switch back to Maximum (-g3) and then it works on that level as well, so I'm currently doing some more investigation into it but that at least allowed me to get started with the debugging of that project.

Try it out and see if it works for you as well. You change the setting by right clicking the project and selecting Properties -> C/C++ Build -> Settings -> Tool Settings (tab) -> MCU GCC Compiler -> Debugging -> Debug level