cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why bugs in Cube are not being fixed after years of being present?

Tomasz Kowalczyk
Associate II

There is a bug that haunts me since I started using Cube, which was 2017. It is very simple: for some reason in Clock Configuration panel whenever I touch any of the Input frequency fields, the value I am leaving in there gets divided by 1000000 (one milion). The workaround was to put the intended value multiplies by milion.

It happened in all versions of Cube I tried (I am updating Cube regularly). I am using Cube as Eclipse plugin or the modified Eclipse called System Workbench for STM32 (SW4STM32).

I recall reporting it at least once before, still it wasn't fixed - only made worse, as LSE field was blocked from being edited at some point, which made perfect sense, as only one value was accepted - but not if the field is given an incorrect value by Cube itself! Now Cube is constantly screaming at me that my project has a problem in Clock configuration, which was created by the Cube and I am prohibited from changing anything. That's ********.

Also, as I am releasing my frustration, two more things: why on Earth during logging in to ST community, when I enter wrong password, my e-mail appears for few seconds already written in the e-mail field, but disappear before I type in a password, so I get an empty e-mail field error?

Moreover, the constantly reappearing window "STM32Cube Project has been modified, would you like to save the project ?" is SO DISRUPTIVE. Also it appears eevn when nothing was modified. It is just set to appear every five minutes! It likes to crash the whole SW4STM32 when I press yes, so I just press no out of routine only to save manually later.

Lastly, why the #@^3 the "easy code generator that will set up everything for you" doesn't even hint that you need to manually write a line of code (which you have to find by yourself in HAL manual) to activate timer and PWM channel to get a PWM out? I've just specified that I want it in Cube, why wouldn't I want to have it working? At least provide a commented function with a note that you have to uncomment this line to achieve a PWM working!

The more I use ST inventions like HAL and Cube the more I think learning how to use them was a big waste of time. I spend more time trying to figure out what am I missing in my code generated in Cube or what went wrong in Cube/HAL than I would spend writing whole setup code in LL manually.

4 REPLIES 4
TDK
Guru

In general, SW4STM32 was abandoned years ago. I don't expect anything to be fixed in there.

I can't reproduce the bugs you mention. Certainly putting in 8000000 instead of 8 as the HSE frequency works, but CubeMX correctly reports that it's invalid. Putting in 8 works just fine.

0693W000004Ib9vQAC.png

The forum software is awful. Pretty much everyone agrees with you there.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Tomasz Kowalczyk
Associate II

For me the LSE field looks like this and I can't change it at all - I can reproduce same effect on HSE field by just typing "8" and pressing enter few times.

0693W000004IbDnQAK.png

Hi @TK.17owalczyk​ ,

No warning with this input value? The classical question: are you using latest CubeMX version?

-Amel

PS: Community platform related comments have to be logged in @About this community​  dedicated space.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Of course there is a warning, that's what this post is about. It constantly pops warnings that clock configuration is messed up and I can't do anything about it.

It's the latest version of plugin SW4STM32 could find - I've found an update and installed it to check if this would solve the problem right before going to the forums.