cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Developing digital camera with STM32.

EPanc.1
Associate

Hello! I want to develop device, that should capture 640x480 24 bpp 30fps video from camera module, resize it to 1024x768, overlay some OSD information and to display it on 1024x768 screen. In addition i want to capture this video on SD card.

As far as I understand, this is on the limit of capabilities of STM32 microcontrollers. So i have a questions:

1. Is it possible on STM32 microcontrollers?
  2. What dev. board is best best suited for making a prototype?
  3. Will there be enough CPU resources to poll sensors through simple interfaces like SPI and I2C? Or the microcontroller wiil be overloaded by video processing?
1 REPLY 1
Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hi @EPanc.1​ ,

Although I cannot provide you exact answers to the questions you asked as this out of my expertise area, I can recommend you an application note that may bring you the help you need.

It is AN5020 (Digital camera interface (DCMI) for STM32 MCUs).

What is good with this application note is that it explains the theory across several STM32 platforms and provides some DCMI use-cases taking into consideration performance requirements, peripherals dependency and power constraints.

It is interesting for us to know if the content of this application note was helpful for you, or it is missing some details that you consider important.

In that case, please let us know them so that we we handle them as enhancement requests for this document.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.