cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why two separate TF-A binaries in BSP 2.0.0

Grodriguez
Senior

I have noticed that in BSP 2.0.0, two different TF-A binaries are built, one installed as fsbl and one used only for communications with STM32CubeProgrammer (the "serialboot" binary). I believe this was not necessary in BSP 1.2.0, where a single TF-A binary was used for both purposes.

I am just curious why this split is needed. Isn't it possible to build one single TF-A binary which would work for both purposes? What has changed from BSP 1.2.0 to 2.0.0 that makes it necessary to use separate binaries?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @Grodriguez​ ,

This split has been introduced to deal with memory constraint with TF-A in BSP V2.0.

Due to some added features/services ( SCMI, DVFS ) and ST board combinatory, TF-A no more fit in memory budget.

So ST decided to remove "serialboot" service support from the embedded version and keep them only in the "serialboot" profile require for flash.

If this 2 binaries approach is a problem for you ( thanks to elaborate since not forecasted on our side), you can indeed come back to a single profile by building a

custom / reduced TF-A fitting your need.

Hope it answer your question.

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @Grodriguez​ ,

This split has been introduced to deal with memory constraint with TF-A in BSP V2.0.

Due to some added features/services ( SCMI, DVFS ) and ST board combinatory, TF-A no more fit in memory budget.

So ST decided to remove "serialboot" service support from the embedded version and keep them only in the "serialboot" profile require for flash.

If this 2 binaries approach is a problem for you ( thanks to elaborate since not forecasted on our side), you can indeed come back to a single profile by building a

custom / reduced TF-A fitting your need.

Hope it answer your question.

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi @Community member​ ,

Thank you for your informative answer.

Not really a "problem" but it is easier for me if I can use a single TF-A image for both uses (less artifacts to manage). Your suggestion of building a reduced TF-A is perfect since I don't really need to support all possible boot devices.

Thanks!

Guillermo