cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to program/flash STEVAL-BLUEMIC-1

SHack.1
Associate II

How do I flash the STEVAL-BLUEMIC-1 board? The STEVAL-BLUEMIC-1 board came with a 5 pin SWD programming cable. What does this interface with? Is there an ST Link tool that connects to the SWD cable and a USB port on a computer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @SHack.1​ ,

you are right, the 5 pin JTAG /SWD cable has to be interfaced with an ST Link programming tool. For example, the STLINK-V3 debugger has a direct connection for this cable. If you don't have this tool, you can use any NUCLEO board, which is equipped of the SWD termination.

In both cases, the suggested interface for the programming is the STM32CubeProgrammer.

-Eleon

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @SHack.1​ ,

you are right, the 5 pin JTAG /SWD cable has to be interfaced with an ST Link programming tool. For example, the STLINK-V3 debugger has a direct connection for this cable. If you don't have this tool, you can use any NUCLEO board, which is equipped of the SWD termination.

In both cases, the suggested interface for the programming is the STM32CubeProgrammer.

-Eleon

Thank you so much for your quick response. I will purchase the STLINK-V3 debugger.

SHack.1
Associate II

@Eleon BORLINI​ 

I have connected the STEVAL-BLUEMIC-1 board to the STLINK-V3 debugger using the SWD cable (see below).

0693W000004K5rfQAC.jpg 

I am using the STM32CubeProgrammer software. I updated the firmware on the STLINK-V3, and the power light is green and the COM light is red on the STLINK-V3. The STEVAL-BLUEMIC-1 board is powered on. When I click the "Connect" button, I get the following error.

0693W000004K61VQAS.jpg 

How can I resolve this error?

Hi @SHack.1​ ,

Uhm... I have some question for you:

• Can you check the voltage on the T_VCC pin? And did you disconnect the Li-ion battery before running the upload?
  • Can you please also check that the SWD cable is connected in the right orientation?
  • Did you do the full chip erase before the firmware upgrade?

-Eleon

Hi @Eleon BORLINI​ 

• I tried to connect to the BLUEMIC board with and without the Li-Ion battery. Below are my error logs and the value of T_VCC for each case.
    • BLUEMIC with battery connected and powered On
      • T_VCC=2.19V
      • Error log: 0693W000004KI9MQAW.png

• BLUEMIC with battery connected and powered Off
    • T_VCC = 0V
    • Error log: 0693W000004KI9bQAG.png
  • BLUEMIC connected without the battery
    • T_VCC = 0.001V
    • Error log: 0693W000004KI9gQAG.png

• The SWD cable is connected in the right orientation. The CLK, GND, and DIO pins on both the BLUEMIC board and STLINK board are connected.
  • By full chip erase, do you mean on the STLINKV3 board or on the BLUEMIC board? I did not erase anything on either boards.

Here is a screenshot of what the STM32CubeProgrammer looks like. 0693W000004KIBDQA4.png

Hi @SHack.1​ ,

Thank you of the tests and the detailed feedback.

So you are receiving the 2.2V on T_VCC only when battery is plugged and power set to on, but you should have at least 3.3V on that pin. You can plug the USB cable also on the  BLUEMIC board side connector (power on) and retry.

About the full chip erase, you can press the button indicated by the red arrow in the picture below (but only after you tried with the T_VCC = 3.3V):

0693W000004KIHuQAO.png 

-Eleon

The battery voltage is 4V but only 2.19V is showing up at the T_VCC pin on the BLUEMIC board. Do you know why that could be?

@Eleon BORLINI​ 

I fixed the voltage problem. 3.3V is now at pin T_VCC on the STLINK board.

However, I am now getting the error I posted on Oct. 16th:

0693W000004KIVDQA4.jpg

Hi @SHack.1​ ,

since I'm more expert on sensors than on STM32, I added STM32 topic for broader help.

This kind of error may be relate to one (or both) of these two community conversations:

• Thread 1 --> "I dowloaded Stm32Cube Programmer and discovered that RDP - Read Out Protection was set. So Flash Memory was read-protected. Unchecking this protection solved my issue (both with Stm32Cube Programmer and CubeMX IDE)". This may be your case.
  • Thread 2 --> Here customer are using the ST Link utility instead of STM32Cube programmer (at least for the first memory flashing).

LEt me please know if these Q&As can help you.

-Eleon