cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add custom hardware (board) into touchgfx designer4.14 to support direct downloading and testing ?

YSN
Senior

Currently I am using STM32F745I-DISCO board, I am able to design any template and load directly to target board.

But My custom hardware has little different LCD driver (ILI9341 2.8inch TFT display with capacitive touch)

1. How to make changes to adapt the new LCD and touch controller ?
  2. Is there any way to create the Custom Board in Touch GFX designer to create the project automatically and download similar EVALUATION board ?
  3. Is there any example / widget available for GRAPHS ? I need to plot ECG data using TouchGFX, but i could not find any widget related to graph in the designer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

This is my fault sorry I did not realize that the H745 was a dual core... CubeMX does not currently support dual core, it is announced for the end of the year. We will try to develop application templates after that.

I know that some people have tried to use TouchGFX with the H747 disco which is also dual core, so maybe go through the existing topics related to see what can be done. There is otherwise an old application template for the H747 disco and eval withn TouchGFX Designer that does not use CubeMX, I suppose it may be useful to see how you can work around the H745.

Concerning your second question, could you reiterate ? I do not understand it.

/Romain

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Romain DIELEMAN
ST Employee

Hi,

Did you use CubeMX to configure your custom project? You are able to run TouchGFX GUIs on your disco board?

1. We have made guides on how to configure your project in CubeMX in the online documentation: have a look at the Touch Controller article and at the LTDC/Parallel RGB article to make changes and adapt the project to your setup. I would recommend to go through the entire Development section of the documentation to have a better understanding and overview of what to do.
  2. Look at this article to understand how to create an application template and make it available from TouchGFX Designer.
  3. A graph widget will be available in TouchGFX 4.15 which will be released in the coming weeks. If you cannot wait for the next version, there are graph examples in the UI templates "Demo 1" and "Demo 2". Go through the code to understand its implementation.

/Romain

Hi Romain,

Thanks for your Quick Reply.

Did you use CubeMX to configure your custom project? You are able to run TouchGFX GUIs on your disco board?

No, I have chosen template from Touch GFX designer for DISCO board.

Yes, I am able to run the GUI to target board directly from Touch GFX designer.

1. With Cube MX am generating the Keil Project. It is compiling and executing but, it does not show touchgfx related files or even package listing the middleware section.
  2. How to integrate Cube MX generated Keil project with Touch GFX ?
  3. Is it not possible to generate the touchgfx libraries integrated with touch gfx designer ?
  4. I see that to add application template for custom hardware, it is required to have the fully working project with touchgfx integration. Kindly help me to understand this ?

Regards,

Stalin

Which application template did you use? I am not aware of a F745I disco board application template. I suppose you are talking about the H745? This one also does not have an application template within Designer.

Yes, I struggled a lot to find the same, but some how H750B-DK template is working as the chip is same in both the boards.

Board : STM32H745I-DISCO (Sorry I mentioned wrongly in my first query)

But even STM32H745I-DISCO is not found in the designer hence am using STM32H750B-DK and is working fine with designer.

That makes sense then. The H750 and H745 disco boards are very similar, the difference is that the H750 is considered as "flashless" (it only has 128k of internal flash). There are no application template within Designer for the H745 disco, so you unfortunately really do need to create a project from scratch through CubeMX with the right MCU. Follow the board bring up documentation to configure the MCU, use the H750 dk template to get some inspiration for the sections that are the same. Then you will have to enable TouchGFX Generator through the additional software option (and configure it). TouchGFX will work with Keil, for that you need to set the toolchain to MDK-arm in the project manager section and generate code.

You will now have generated the files required to configure a working TouchGFX application.

4.Yes this section is for when you will have finished configuring your hardware/MCU. So do not focus on that for now

Hi Romain,

I have created the CubeMX project with STM32H745XI MCU as suggested in previous reply, basic project creation is done.

But unable to add additional software to configure touchgfx. It says "This Pack Can not be used on the Selected MCU". It seems the 745XI MCU it self does not support touchgfx integration in CubeMX.

Where as I can find this option for 750B-DK board and MCU selection. How to get below combo working ahead

CubeMX Project creation + Keil IDE + TouchGFX designer in one go ?.

Hi,

This is my fault sorry I did not realize that the H745 was a dual core... CubeMX does not currently support dual core, it is announced for the end of the year. We will try to develop application templates after that.

I know that some people have tried to use TouchGFX with the H747 disco which is also dual core, so maybe go through the existing topics related to see what can be done. There is otherwise an old application template for the H747 disco and eval withn TouchGFX Designer that does not use CubeMX, I suppose it may be useful to see how you can work around the H745.

Concerning your second question, could you reiterate ? I do not understand it.

/Romain

Hi Romain,

Besides I have done as below to bring up touchgfx on STM32H745I-DISCO.

1. Created the basic Cubemx Generated (Keil MDK)project with necessary clock settings for STM32H745I-DISCO

2. Added code for SPI Flash, LTDC, FMC for SDRAM, DMA2D, CRC etc for the same project and tested with Basic Single Layer Framebuffer with BMP image and working fine. 

3. Added FREERTOS Integration and created the default task with LED Blinking. Both LCD and LED are working fine. 

4. Created Touch GFX Designer project with STM32H750B-DK (is almost similar to STM32H745I-DISCO) and copied the Touchgfx folder itself from that project to my project created till step 3. and cleared all compilation errors by mimicking the H750 Project.

So far everything went smoothly. 

Now, I do not understand the connection (LCD Framebuffer to touchgfx) between LCD and GFX functions. I have simply called touchgfx_init before the RTOS scheduler is started. Still my LED and LCD Bmp works fine. But the GUI Generated from TOuchgfx is not displayed (Hope there needs to be some framebuffer connection missing.) on the LCD.

I have further investigated and found that, touchgfx is getting hard fault after executing  backPorchExited. The function tick is creating problem. Can you advise what could go wrong here ?

enableLCDControllerInterrupt();

enableInterrupts();

OSWrappers::waitForVSync();

backPorchExited();

Can you please advise me on this ? Also kindly reply as sooner as possible.

Regards,

Stalin