cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the "closest" STM32 MCU to the M4 core in the STM32MP1

Grodriguez
Senior

I am evaluating some embedded software libraries which are available for multiple ARM Cortex M3/M4 MCUs from ST. I would like to evaluate what would be the porting effort to port these libraries to the embedded M4 core in the STM32MP1.

What is the closest STM32 MCU in terms of functionality, peripherals, etc to the M4 core embedded in the STM32MP1 ?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hello, for Cortex-M4 side, STM32MP15x are very close to Cortex-M4 side of STM32H747/757 or single core Cortex-M7 STM32F769/779.

For a single Cortex-M4 core, a STM32F469/479 could be also a good start point.

Although migrating is not straightforward for MCUs to MPUs (as concept of dual core Linux + Cortex-M4 co-processor requires a different and structural split of SW tasks in two different OS), some help could be found in AN5253.

Regards

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Without having a single look at the 'MP1, I'd say the 'G4, simply because it's from the same era, so it's most likely to have similar versions of peripherals.

The details in the total buildup must be big, though, so I believe porting will always be a significant effort for anything but trivial application.

Cube promises seamless migration, doesn't it...

JW

PatrickF
ST Employee

Hello, for Cortex-M4 side, STM32MP15x are very close to Cortex-M4 side of STM32H747/757 or single core Cortex-M7 STM32F769/779.

For a single Cortex-M4 core, a STM32F469/479 could be also a good start point.

Although migrating is not straightforward for MCUs to MPUs (as concept of dual core Linux + Cortex-M4 co-processor requires a different and structural split of SW tasks in two different OS), some help could be found in AN5253.

Regards

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thank you, this is very useful.

Hi @PatrickF​ ,

Looks like the STM32F429 is supported. I assume this should be close enough to the STM32F469/479, so that's a very good start.

Thank you again!

Guillermo

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

Look at the core revision in  CORTEXM_CPUID of the right AP.