cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have just recieved this circuit board and im trying to program it with an ST-LINK V2 however i keep getting the error "no stm32 target found" when trying to connect to it through SWD. Could someone help me?

SDowr.1
Associate II

I have just recieved this circuit board and im trying to program it with an ST-LINK V2 however i keep getting the error "no stm32 target found" when trying to connect to it through SWD. Could someone help me?

0693W000004HzYiQAK.png

7 REPLIES 7
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Please double-check the connection of RST/TMS/TCK to the right pins at the STLINK-V2. Additionally you could try to Connect Under Reset to avoid trouble when running in low-power modes and/or not defining the SWD pins within your user program.

BTW: it is recommended not to use a pull-up (R19) a NRST, as there is already a built-in pull-ip (see RM0364, pg 105, fig. 9), so the capacitor (C12) is sufficient. NRST is a bidirectional pin and is also able to drive external circuitry when needed.

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Pin 1/2 of the ST-LINK 20-pin needs to be powered so the buffers work.

The design here forecloses several methods to do signs-of-life.

The grounding of unused pins might be an issue for the boot-loader.

You can check the state of NRST, if clamped low, then power issues.

The 10K pull-up should be inconsequential.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Would I apply 3.3v to the reset on power up to do this? And do I have to remove the pull up resistor and jump this pads?

I’ve only been using pin one on the ST-LINK for power, is this likely to be my issue?

I think they are connected on the ST-LINK, ARM used to use VTref / VTarget on Pin#1

Generally the error you're seeing suggests the connection is wrong, or the chip is non-functional.

Would double check the orientation of the part.

With BOOT0 pulled High one could have tried to talk to the device via USART1 on PA9/PA10, you can get a 0x79 response to a 0x7F data pattern at 9600 8E1, if the IC is functional.

The external clock is not enabled at boot.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

The components were soldered by JLCPCB and the chip is the correct orientation. What would you suggest I do?

Nothing jumping out on the schematic, but I'm not going to go through every pin/node.

Double check the orientation of the SWD-10 vs ST-LINK 20-pin connector

You're going to have to go through the schematic, pcb and docs, and cross-check everything, repeating the due-diligence.

I'd probably start with a minimally populated board, provide a supply, have the JTAG/SWD connections, and see if it responds.

If the part still isn't responsive, and you've cross checked all pins, and get an IC from Mouser/DigiKey of known provence