cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet Communication tips for reliable connection

GunkutA
Senior

Hello I need to make an ethernet connection with some other MCU's. It will be a star topology and I need to make the main MCU. Other MCU's will be sending GPS data, audio data and composite video data ( I have no experience with any of these...). Before I start, I wanted to take some tips on how should I create the software of the main MCU from somebody with an experience. (Like choosing a 32 bit MCU, using ethernet controller, using some algorithms?). I really need all the suggestions and key points. 

P.S: Please note that I am a beginner. So I might have a hard time to understand some of the suggestions.

1 REPLY 1

If you are a beginner start with things that are less complicated, get appropriate training for the job you're doing, work with people who have the skills you want to learn, hire people who know what they are doing.

Define Beginner, people in high school can write computer code, construct electronic circuits.

What training/experience do you have?

Break the project into smaller pieces that you can solve for yourself.

Find things that implement similar functionality, look at how they got solved.

How are you going to use Ethernet? Sending raw packets, implementing UDP or TCP/IP?

Got any protocol level experience, Berkeley Sockets? Written any such applications? Know anyone who has?

TCP/IP provides some integrity and retrying, UDP significantly less so.

Doing 10/100BT you're going to need a hub/switch.

Should you be using an Embedded Linux based single board computer? Like a RPi or one of the assorted boards like that

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..