cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[BUG][STM32CubeMX] Wrong ARM CMSIS DSP pack description (pdsc) file

gcrisa
Associate III

Neither the stand-alone STM32CubeMX nor the one integrated in the STM32CubeIDE correctly includes the ARM CMSIS DSP software pack into a generated project.

When trying to generate the project with the CMSIS DSP selected as Sources, all the .C files included by the CMSIS DSP source files are missing from the project (eg. the BasicMathFunctions.c includes arm_abs_f32.c, arm_abs_q15.c, ... which are all missing).

Looking at the pack description file ARM.CMSIS.pdsc all the respective <file> entries for the 'Source' variant of the DSP <component> files are completely missing, even though the actual files are present into the package itself (eg. for the BasicMathFunctions.c they are under CMSIS\DSP\Source\BasicMathFunctions).

When trying to generate the project by importing the CMSIS DSP as a library, the library file is not copied into the project. Perhaps, none of the listed <file> entries in the library-variant of the CMSIS DSP <component> meets the conditions?

I am using the latest available versions of both the softwares and the ARM CMSIS pack version is 5.6.0.

Tested this in a project for an STM32L476RE, version of the MCU package is 1.16.0.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

For anyone who has the same problem, this video: https://youtu.be/vCcALaGNlyw?t=149 helped me find a work-around.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
gcrisa
Associate III

Any answer to this please? Will it be fixed? Or please tell if I should report this issue somewhere else...

Hello gcrisa,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Unfortunately ARM CMSIS pack is only supported by Keil IDE (which is actually an issue related to the CMSIS Pack and Keil). Please try to generate your project with MDK-ARM toolchain.

Regards,

Khouloud.

gcrisa
Associate III

Hello,

Thank you your reply. I already tried to generate the project for the MDK-ADM with the same results: those same source files are missing in the generated project.

What do you mean when saying that the ARM pack is only supported by the Keil IDE, does this mean that the ARM packs that I see under "Software Packs" in CubeMX can only be used when I select the MDK-ARM toolchain? (even though it's not working with that either...). I actually thought that the CubeMX packs - even if they are taken "as-is" from the CMSIS packs, were toolchain-independent...

Hi,

> does this mean that the ARM packs that I see under "Software Packs" in CubeMX can only be used when I select the MDK-ARM toolchain?

No, other packs can be successfully used with other IDEs , we talk here about ARM CMSIS DSP pack (the CMSIS pack taken as it is has some problem).

CubeMX doesn't support correctly the ARM CMSIS DSP Pack as some file or component are duplicated when using CubeMX ( The file RTE_Components.h is generated by CubeMX only if RTE_Component element are present on the PDSC, however this file is automaticly genertaed by the Keil IDE).

> I already tried to generate the project for the MDK-ADM with the same results: those same source files are missing in the generated project.

Could you please attach your ioc to check the issue because it works correctly from my side.

Regards,

Khouloud.

Hi

ok, thanks for clarifying that.

As per the attachment, you are correct, I apologize. Since I could not share the exact IOC (the project I'm working on its covered by an NDA) I tried to make a new one to replicate my issue and instead it worked: selecting MDK-ARM all the source files are correctly included in the project...

So I guess I'll have to give up and do the inclusion manually when using CubeIDE, at least for now.

Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate this!

Regards,

-gcrisa

Hi Khouloud,

Are there any plans to update this so that CMSIS DSP can be used with STM32CubeIDE? And in the mean time, an error message warning the user of the issue would be very nice as there is no indication in the software that it wouldn't work.

Thanks,

Ben

For anyone who has the same problem, this video: https://youtu.be/vCcALaGNlyw?t=149 helped me find a work-around.

MSchl.2105
Associate II

I don't understand the solution proposed 'helped me find a work-around.' The link indicated as the solution is simply a fifteen minute video describing header files and project structures.

QUESTION

How can one install a expansion library without encountering the missing pdsc file error?