cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Framebuffer to DCIM and TFT Display. What is the best kind of RAM?

CKUND.1
Associate II

Dear friends.

I am starting a new hardware designer for a project with the STM32H753 MCU.

The project is a picture grabber and video recorder by infrared trigger. A display will be used to show the images/video using TouchGFX framework and the pictures/movies will be written in a SD card. The device is portable, powered by a lipo battery.

The camera has PIXEL_CLOCK = 74.25MHz and the desired output is 1920 x 1080p / 30 fps. The output image is YCbCr 422 format.

My doubt is about the kind of memory to project a reliable framebuffer for this application. I need a dual framebuffer. Each one with 4MB. Considering 30 fps to recorder a video I will need a memory with a bandwidth of 120MB/s.

So, my memory should be at least 64Mbits of space and 120MB/s of throughput.

Unfortunately, the STM32H753 have no OCTA-SPI to interface HyperBus memories. And by FMC we have several options, like PSRAM, SDRAM, SRAM …

Therefore, I have 2 issues:

-         Could some one to suggest some RAM model for this application? I am a little confused about the possible model (PSRAM or LPDRAM or conventional SDRAM)

-         Is the MCU powerful enough to reach the requirements of project?

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,

Kunde

3 REPLIES 3

32-bit wide SDRAM

Suspect it will be a challenge to process and offload that much data.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Here's an evaluation board.. https://openmv.io/products/openmv-cam-h7-plus

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Alex - APMemory
Senior II

If you wish to have a solution with low power or small package such as OPI, I'll suggest ADMUX PSRAM (for example APS12816G), alternatively SDRAM (for example A3V64S40GTP) using the FMC controller.

For both case, the max theoritical BW for long burst can reach is 120MB/s at 60MHz (266MB/s at max speed 133MHz, but I'm not sure what is the max STM32H753 can run)

Alex