cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loading ELF in STM32CubeMonitor stuck at 25% in Ubuntu 18.04

Thomas Jespersen
Associate III

I have just installed STM32CubeMonitor as an alternative to STM32Studio since I am no longer using Windows. I have been a happy user of STM32Studio but have been frustrated with the lack of Linux support, so I was excited to see that STM32CubeMonitor supported Linux.

Unfortunately my first experience with it did not meet my expectations.

1. I have not been able to load an ELF file since the ELF parser gets stuck at 25% (see the attached picture)
  2. After manually entering the addresses I was able to view the data but only at a slow sample/refresh rate of what appears to be 10 Hz or less. I tried to modify the Sampling Frequency in the Variables node but this did not seem to have any effect.

Finally I would also like to ask about why both the Probe Out and Probe In is needed when you only want to do acquisition (input). Why is the Probe Out needed?

Best regards

Thomas Jespersen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Thomas Jespersen​ 

Hello Thomas

In version 1.0.0, the parsing of c++ classes in the elf file was not supported and classes were skipped. But if the address is known, it can be added manually in the variable to monitor.

In 1.1.0, the class variables which have static address in the elf file are listed.

Best regards

Stephane

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
stephane.legargeant
ST Employee

Hello Thomas

I don't see the picture with the ELF parser stuck. Nevertheless, are you using version V1.1.0 ? We have done some fix, it may solve the issue.

For the acquisition speed, with a Ubuntu 18.04.5 and board Nucleo-F411RE and version 1.1.0, I have around 800 points per seconds. So I am surprised that you have only 10Hz. May be there is a display issue with your computer ? Can you try to record the data in the processing node (log all values) and check if you have samples in the file ?

For the Probe In and Probe Out, we need both because the Probe Out send the configuration and the request to the probe, while the Probe In receives the results.

In node-RED many nodes works in pair (serial in/out, web socket, http). We tried to have similar design.

Thanks

Stephane

Thomas Jespersen
Associate III

Yes, I am using V1.1.0. I have tried to attach the image again.

0693W000004GmuAQAS.png

stephane.legargeant
ST Employee

Hello Thomas.

It seems there is something blocking the elf parser in your elf. What is the size of the file ?

Is it possible to share the elf with me ? (you can send me a private message)

Best regards

Stephane

Thomas Jespersen
Associate III

It seems that problem is only present in version 1.1.0 of STM32CubeMonitor.

By installing version 1.0.0 I am able to load the ELF file successfully.

PS. I am using C++ in my embedded project. Maybe this plays a role when loading?

Hello Thomas.

The support of some c++ symbols has been added in V1.1.0, so it may generate an issue during the parser. In V1.0.0, these symbols were skipped. .

Stephane

Hello

We have identified an issue : The tool fails to parse the c++ classes which have references to themselves.

As c++ classes is a new feature of V1.1.0, it is possible to use the version 1.0.0 as a workaround if you face this issue.

Stephane

Does this mean that C++ is not supported in V1.0.0?

@Thomas Jespersen​ 

Hello Thomas

In version 1.0.0, the parsing of c++ classes in the elf file was not supported and classes were skipped. But if the address is known, it can be added manually in the variable to monitor.

In 1.1.0, the class variables which have static address in the elf file are listed.

Best regards

Stephane