cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TFT external Display using NUCLEO-F746ZG or STM32F769I Disc1

Giovanni Cambareri
Associate II

Hi, I've already developed a graphic application with the STM32F746G-DISCO on TOUCHGFX and it works well.

Now I would like to develop the same graphic application on a different ST board without an onboard TFT display. I want to use an external display (same 4.3" and 480x272 pixels) and then put the previous FW on this new board.

My questions are:

• is it possible to use the NUCLEO-F746ZG board with an external display without touching the FW I've already generated from Touch GFX? In this case how could I make the connection between the nucleo board and the display?
  • if the previous point is not achievable easily, I saw that the STM32F769I Disc1 provides a connector (B-LCDAD-RPI1) for an external TFT display. Could be good choice considering that the microcontroller is different and the code generated from touchGFX is made for the STM32F746?

Thank you for your time.

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MM..1
Chief II

Nucleo have RAM only for RGB565 or partial buffer. And reply for Your both questioín is NO or maybe first yes when schematics and memory layer is same as on DISCO board.

You need new builds and configs...

B-LCDAD-RPI1 is DSI interface .

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MM..1
Chief II

Nucleo have RAM only for RGB565 or partial buffer. And reply for Your both questioín is NO or maybe first yes when schematics and memory layer is same as on DISCO board.

You need new builds and configs...

B-LCDAD-RPI1 is DSI interface .

Giovanni Cambareri
Associate II

Thank you for your answer. Just an other question.

If I want to develop an other application with an external TFT display, assuming that i have to modify configs and code generated from TOUCHGFX as you told me, do you recommend to use a nucleo board or an other development ST kit? Do you recommend a specific series of microcontroller? I want to do this step before develop my own HW.

Thank you for your time.

Regards

MM..1
Chief II

This is wide question. As i write when you copy any DISCO with display 1:1 and use same display aka externaly you have little TODO.

But from your question i see you plan only connect display to an kit, then your primary question need start on display. How you need. LCD OLED ...?

When you choice second step is kit.

And your naming it external isnt good, this seems as HDMI or 1m cable you plan. ?

Giovanni Cambareri
Associate II

Hi, yes I plan to connect a 4.3" TFT display through a cable (not 1 m) or a connector. But before choosing the way to connect I have to choose for sure the display and the main board.

The main features of the display could be for the moment:

• TFT display with LED backlight and capacitive touch panel
  • 4.3 inch
  • 480*272 pixels

The features could be the same as the display on the STM32F746G-DISCO (RK043FN02H-CT).

As I told you, I've already developed an application with the STM32F746G-DISCO with TOUCHGFX, now I want to do a second step in which I realize a demo separating the main board and the Display before develop my own project. So in this step It is very important for me to choose the correct display and the correct microcontroller.

Ask me if something is not clear.

Thank you