cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

protect uart from being hacked

xmart
Associate II

We welcome everyone

Is there a way to protect uart from being hacked!?

For example:I have a device that uses gsm to send sensitive data.

Anyone with a simple background can learn the uart pins and then put a logic analyzer or rx probe and then know ip and port !!

5 REPLIES 5
TDK
Guru

You could encrypt what is sent over UART. Some chips have encryption peripherals to make this quicker/easier. Probably won't help much though. If they have access to the UART pins, presumably they also have access to the ethernet pins as well.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

>>Anyone with a simple background can learn the uart pins and then put a logic analyzer or rx probe and then know ip and port !!

You'd really need to worry about those with 150+ IQ

Probably want to encrypt the content, ideally asymmetric.

Have a non repeating IV, or a time-stamp / session key to limit replay attacks.

Use Elliptical Curve signing so content is resistant to modification/spoofing.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
xmart
Associate II

but I have to embarrass command via uart, I cannot send an encrypted command

I admit to you that I have a low IQ, but I have practiced this method with some devices in the market then succeeded:face_without_mouth:

If you send the commands encrypted, the module does not understand it

>>If you send the commands encrypted, the module does not understand it

Not sure you can avoid that beyond burying the traces within a multi-layer board, which would work for BGA and LGA packaged devices.

What you would want to do is encrypt your "sensitive data" as it is transmitted across connections and networks you can't physically secure.

Perhaps you can find a modem providing a secure communication channel, or put an applet or script within the modem that you could interact with more securely.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..