cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32l433, Vbat management and LiPo Battery

emil28
Senior

Hello,

I am using the stm32l433ccu6. I would like to connect my LiPo battery (1 cell) on Vbat. When this battery is full, the voltage is 4.2V. I am very interested in using the Vbat monitoring feature (ADC1_IN18).

0693W000003RgeiQAC.jpg

But in the Absolute Maximum ratings paragraph, the maximum voltage on Vbat is 4.0V.

0693W000003RgfvQAC.jpgFor me, this battery management feature is useless if I can't event plug a simple LiPo battery on Vbat and if I need to add components before the Vbat pin to lower the voltage. Is it normal ? Or is it a mistake in the datasheet ?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RomainR.
ST Employee

Hi emil28,

For STM32L4 familly, VBAT = 1.55 V to 3.6 V.

VBAT pin is for a backup battery used by the real-time clock and backup Power Domain.

RTC backup batteries are usually non-rechargeable Lithium cells. Their voltage doesn't exceed +3V. CR2032 is an example of such battery.

If your Lipo supply curve reach 4.2V, You need to insert LDO.

BR

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RomainR.
ST Employee

Hi emil28,

For STM32L4 familly, VBAT = 1.55 V to 3.6 V.

VBAT pin is for a backup battery used by the real-time clock and backup Power Domain.

RTC backup batteries are usually non-rechargeable Lithium cells. Their voltage doesn't exceed +3V. CR2032 is an example of such battery.

If your Lipo supply curve reach 4.2V, You need to insert LDO.

BR

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

emil28
Senior

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

It makes sense now.