cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting an XTAL with an STM32L412

deep_rune
Associate III

I want to connect an (HSE) crystal with an STM32L412 - I see from the cubeIDE ports that PA0 is the CK_IN, but I've always used xtals with two ends - where does the other end of the xtal connect to? Ground?

5 REPLIES 5

Need to use an oscillator, like a TCXO, or existing clock source in your system

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

sorry i don't understand... i just want to use an external crystal to time my chip, how can i do this? do i need to use the RCC osc pins? Im not sure

You have to make the crystal oscillate externally, you could use a pair of inverters if you insist on doing it from scratch​

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

?? im really confused - I can't connect a crystal like I can with other chips? Ive used atmega chips and you just connect the crystal between two pins, and i was using an STM32F031K6 with a crystal connected..

On most STM32 chips, there are two pins for the HSE. On some reduced pin count chips, such as this one, there is only one pin assigned to HSE. Thus, you cannot use a crystal in the same way as other chips. It can only operate in "HSE Bypass" mode.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".