cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeMonitor: reading from a serial port

papamidas
Associate II

Hi,

first I want to say that STM32CubeMonitor (I am running 1.1.0) is a really fantastic debug tool, and it was a really good idea from ST do use nodered for this.

It makes many debug tasks A LOT easier than before and it is really a lot of fun to play with. Well done!

Now I would like to read in data not only from the MCU registers and variables, but also from the serial port of my MCU.

For this I tried to install the node-red-node-serialport package (0.11.0).

Unfortunately, with this package I get a lot of error messages in my console window:  

11 Sep 16:55:53 - [warn] [node-red-node-serialport/serialport] Error: The module '\\?\C:\Users\rausch\.STMicroelectronics\stm32cubemonitor\node_modules\@serialport\bindings\build\Release\bindings.node'

was compiled against a different Node.js version using

NODE_MODULE_VERSION 72. This version of Node.js requires

NODE_MODULE_VERSION 73. Please try re-compiling or re-installing

the module (for instance, using `npm rebuild` or `npm install`).

Neither "npm rebuild" nor "npm install" changed the situation.

What can I do?

Is there a better serial port package that works with STM32CubeMonitor?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
stephane.legargeant
ST Employee

Hello

We have already included the serial port v0.10.2 in STM32CubeMonitor, so you do not need to install it.

You can see it in the menu "Manage palette"

0693W000003RS2aQAG.png

The npm rebuild is complex, so we have done it and included the prebuilt version. You just have to use it from the palette (in the "network" category).

Stephane

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
stephane.legargeant
ST Employee

Hello

We have already included the serial port v0.10.2 in STM32CubeMonitor, so you do not need to install it.

You can see it in the menu "Manage palette"

0693W000003RS2aQAG.png

The npm rebuild is complex, so we have done it and included the prebuilt version. You just have to use it from the palette (in the "network" category).

Stephane

papamidas
Associate II

Thanks; I missed that!

MBarb.2
Associate II

Is there a how to?

Richard.Chvr
ST Employee

Hello @MBarb.2​ ,

There's no how to for node-serial port usage but you may find interesting information on node red library dealing with this package.

Richard

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
MBarb.2
Associate II

Hello,

I have just found out the tool and I understand that by using jtag and the elf file it can read/write ram blocks to access firmware variables by name.

Now, using the serial port probe would require an underlying protocol to access those variables by name.. either by dumping them and their values to the port and interpreting them using js in node-red or let the tool somehow request and have the firmware respond with the ram blocks.

So the question Is serial port probe compatible with using the elf file for figuring out the variable locations?

Richard.Chvr
ST Employee

Hello,

STM32CubeMonitor is not designed to read elf file variable data through serial port. It can only be connected via STLink using JTAG or SWD protocol.

Richard

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.